Floppy Disk Drive Disabled

s99Raj 20:08 23 Nov 07

I recently upgraded from Vista Basic to Premium.
In doing so the floppy disk icon is no longer in the "Computer", and is greyed out in the BIOS.

When I go to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\flpydisk.sys I see that this service has been stopped and disabled.

How can I enable it again?

Kingfisher 20:19 23 Nov 07

not sure about Vista but maybe the same as xp try going into device manager and see if it is enabled.
to get to device manager right click "my Computer" then click on properties then click on device manager tab, then find floppy disk and floppy disk controller and see if they are enabled
good luck
apologies if Vista isn't the same as xp

skidzy 21:31 23 Nov 07

Goback into your bios,and check Floppy Seek is enabled.

s99Raj 22:41 23 Nov 07

Floppy Disk doesn't appear in the Device Manager.

I've looked in the BIOS, and Floppy Seek isn't there either.

I've done a clean install, and still the floppy drive is not there; in the BIOS it's still greyed out.

skidzy 14:49 24 Nov 07

Then i would check the cable to the floppy drive is secure at both ends.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:06 24 Nov 07

Check in BIOS FDC floppy disk controller is enabled.

s99Raj 20:09 24 Nov 07

I've now reinstalled Vista Home Basic from the Recovery CD provided with the machine when it was purchased.

I've also tried changing the floppy cable.

I can't see any FDC in the BIOS; I've been through every single menu twice.

I've reset the motherboard CMOS using a jumper on it.

Still the floppy in the BIOS is greyed out.

This is irritating.

DieSse 20:38 24 Nov 07

BIOS settings have nothing to do with and are unaffected by any software.

Did you do anything else at all, inside the case, or with BIOS settings that might have affected the BIOS?

In the BIOS try selecting the BIOS default setting - this sets the BIOS to it's initial default state.

s99Raj 21:46 24 Nov 07

No, I did nothing else inside the case - just moved the CMOS jumper across for a few seconds and put it back again to its original position. And I also removed the batery for about half an hour.

I've reset the BIOS to its Optimized Deafaults several times, but still the floppy is greyed out.

DieSse 23:19 24 Nov 07

What make BIOS is it please?

woodchip 23:27 24 Nov 07

As DieSse the BIOS as nothing to do with what Operating System you have on the Drive. It's just a Coincidence that it as happened at what looks like the same time you upgraded

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…