floppy discs \xp???

no.good.at.all 20:33 05 Nov 03

can anyone help? i cannotuse floppy discs now im using xp .it tells me the disc needs formating which i try to do but it comes back telling me the disc cannot be formatted. htis is the same with old and new discs

alan 2273 20:42 05 Nov 03

Does it say that the disc is Write Protected, if so make sure the square hole in the bottom left hand corner is closed.

dave h 20:55 05 Nov 03

Also make sure it's a PC Floppy, 1.44Mb Capacity. Older 720 byte floppies won't work.

If you have the right disk, and it still won't work, try the disk in a friends computer, if it works there, your floppy disk drive is duff.

PA28 21:00 05 Nov 03

There is no problem with floppies in XP. Check that your floppy drive has been recognised in Device Manager (My Computer>System Information>Hardware). If it's not there, check your BIOS settings are detecting the drive, and that the cable from the drive to the motherboard is secure and correctly connected (Pin 1 where it should be at both ends).

no.good.at.all 22:14 05 Nov 03

device man has reported the device is working fine no probs .if lead were wrong way round would it detect it?
if i put in a disc and acess my comp and try to open a: it says the disc needs to be formatted
if i look at the properties it shows as blue (full) but 0 bytes and 0 bytes free? strange???

Sir Radfordin 22:15 05 Nov 03

PA28 - do you have any evidence for there being no problem with floppies in XP??

I've experienced a couple of systems that seem to be very fussy about reading floppy disks - especially ones that have previously been using in a legacy system. Have been unable to identify a cause (Hadware/Software)

Simon_P 22:30 05 Nov 03

If the data cable is the wrong way round, the drive light will be permantly on.

Red wire furthest from you.

no.good.at.all 22:34 05 Nov 03

drive light only on when trying to read disc
it all worked fine (hardware)when on 98se
it says data type rawbut will not open it

Tazfan 12:16 06 Nov 03

No help, but I get the same problem on my XP machines. If I put the same disks in a non XP machine, I have no problem formatting them etc at all.

Seems it must be an XP anomoly.

Tazfan 12:16 06 Nov 03

No help, but I get the same problem on my XP machines. If I put the same disks in a non XP machine, I have no problem formatting them etc at all.

Seems it must be an XP anomoly.

tenplus1 12:32 06 Nov 03

The simple solution may be that your Floppy Drive heads are dirty...

Get hold of a floppy cleaner and give that a go, otherwise your floppy drive itself may be dead, especially if it wont let you boot from a startup disk...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5