Floppy disc "write protect" error

chasgf 22:51 17 Jun 04

On a PC running Windows Me, always reports that any floppy is write protected. Discs are not protected, have changed drive and cable which work perfectly in another machine, but those form that other machine (Win 98) won't work in the other. Any clues?

end 10:21 18 Jun 04

a "suggestion" from a novice.... have you tried the floppies in another computer to see what THAT says about the discs(i.e, is it the floppies or your system that is "at fault"??)(unless that is what you posting says as well)...found that was not quite clear!!!!

JayDay 10:29 18 Jun 04

Try this - Look at the back of your disk. In the top left corner there is a sliding button. Make the the button has been pushed downwards, this allows data to be copied to the disk. If it is in the up position it will prevent data being written to the disk.

chasgf 12:06 18 Jun 04

The floppies are fine, and not protected. I have tried 2 different drives and 2 cables in the computer, which until recently was working fine. Whatever combination i try Windows says the discs are write prorected. However both drives work in the other machine and will write to the same discs. I've tried deleting the Controller in device manager and letting windows reinstall but that doesn't help.

Eric10 13:14 18 Jun 04

Look very carefully in all sections of your BIOS. My Asus P4S533-MX motherboard with Award BIOS has an option under, "Advanced, I/O Device Configuration, Floppy Disk Access Control" which can be set to "R/W" or "Read Only". Your's may have a similar setting.

GRFT 13:23 18 Jun 04

There's nothing left to try other than the mother board. It could be that the FDD controller has gone faulty, but you could check that there are no bent pins or dry/unsoldered joints at the mother board connector.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…