Floppy disc metel bit stuck in drive

holligan 18:18 11 Jan 04

The metel bit of floppy disc has come off in the drive and cant get it out, any ideas cheers

Big Elf 18:21 11 Jan 04

With floppy drives being so cheap these days replacing it may be the best (environmentally unfriendly though) way.

spikeychris 18:25 11 Jan 04

Done it a thousand times, get a pair of tweezers and tip it upside down, be careful though, one user once literally set fire to a system by doing it, think it was full of dust and he shorted across.

holligan 18:28 11 Jan 04

does that mean you cant get it out someway

Gandalph 18:31 11 Jan 04

A replacement floppy will only cost you arount £7.00.

woody 18:31 11 Jan 04

Switch it off first!

Big Elf 18:32 11 Jan 04

I'll check through my old kit as I must have one or two lying around. If you can't get it out using spikeychris suggestion then email me with your address and I'll send you one (free of course). It will probably be Tuesday before I can send it though.

holligan 18:33 11 Jan 04

will i set fire if i turn off at the mains ?
I WAS GOING TO TRY THAT, NOW YOU PUT ME OFF

spikeychris 18:37 11 Jan 04

No if its switched off all will be fine, this user however thought he would do it live.

ton 19:10 11 Jan 04

If you remove the drive there is usually a cover that comes off quite easily, sometimes with a couple of screws, sometimes without screws. If you remove this you can remove the foreign object.
But before you remove the cover, just hold open the floppy door and give it a shake as it might just fall out. This is a common thing to happen in my work.

Ben.s 19:52 11 Jan 04

hey my floppy drive keeeps on rippin the metal bit on the floppy cos there all broken the metal bit is stickin right out LOL but dnt blame it on the floppy drive blame the floppy disks/diskette

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…