floppy disc drive

tony c 17:15 08 Dec 06

installed a new f/d drive, windows says it is working. asks me to insert a disc even when one is is in, what is wrong chaps?

Rtus 17:20 08 Dec 06

turn off & Check its data cable it may not be seated correctly

FatboySlim71 17:23 08 Dec 06

First double check all the connecting cables to the drive, if all these are pushed all the way in and the drive is still asking for a disk when there is already one in the drive then it could well be a faulty drive, try disconnecting the cables and then reconnect them back up and see if this helps, if all else fails take it back to the shop where you purchased it and tell them what is happening and what action you have taken to try and remedy it.

Technotiger 17:25 08 Dec 06

Hi, also make sure the data cable is in the correct way round.

tony c 17:29 08 Dec 06

tried cables several times,the green light stays on if i turn the cable over, the other way up no light at all, both ways windows says ok!

X™ 17:37 08 Dec 06

Hmm... Sounds like a faulty reader. Windows wouldn't detect that. Try a new one, but can I ask why you want a floppy drive, floppy's are almost extinct.

Stuartli 18:03 08 Dec 06

The write protect hasn't been Enabled on the floppy by any chance?

Stuartli 18:05 08 Dec 06

Most floppy drive problems are due to a faulty or incorrectly fitted cable - did you change the drive because the original stopped working as it might just have needed a new cable?

Technotiger 18:07 08 Dec 06

The red-striped side of the cable is plugged into Pin1 side of the connector.

tony c 19:49 08 Dec 06

need new floppy,last one failed, lots of files not yet put on cd,will buy new cable and try that.what is pin one side?

Technotiger 20:45 08 Dec 06

The Connector on the mobo should show the pins numbered from 1 to whatever, 40 I think off hand.
The red-striped edge of the flat cable, goes in Pin One(1) end of the connector.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…