floppy disc data help

shauny36 11:59 21 Apr 07

have got 2 floppy discs that i bought to run a diagnostic on my pc (runs in dos) but when i tried to run the 1st disc it didntrun, i found that the metal slide on the floppy doesnt slide and i cant open and read the info on the floppy to transfer the files onto cd to backup.

was going to use nero to make a bootable cd instead of the floppys.

also is there a way of fixing the floppy or stripping it and put it in another floppy.

Diodorus Siculus 12:17 21 Apr 07

I have used floppies after taking the metal casing off altogether but I don't know if that works nowadays.

Do you know why it won't open? IS the spring damaged / broken? It may be possible to put on a new casing.

pj123 12:23 21 Apr 07

As Diodorus Siculus says. I also have taken the slider off altogher. Make sure the spring comes off as well.

Once you have done that make a copy to another floppy disk immediately.

shauny36 13:14 21 Apr 07

the spring action does'nt work.
have just took metal slide of and tried it but still no joy just makes a clicking noise.
when i put in disc 2 it comes up do you want to format.

is it possible to strip it down and put the guts into anther floppy.

Jack Hackett 13:24 21 Apr 07

Download the diagnostic utility again and make some new floppies.
Quite often you can get ISO images of diagnostic tools that you can make bootable diagnostic CDs from.

pj123 13:48 21 Apr 07

If you put another blank formatted floppy in the drive can you copy anything to it?

If not, it sounds like the floppy drive itself is faulty.

shauny36 14:37 21 Apr 07

cant download it as i bought it on ebay.
will try and find another floppy to try.
cheers

MAJ 15:17 21 Apr 07

What's the name of the diagnostic program on the floppies?

shauny36 13:34 22 Apr 07

all its got on the floppy is pc-check
i think it does a thourgh test on the hd memory etc
runs in dos.
cant even run it to let you know what comes up.

shauny36 19:58 03 May 07

managed to get 1 disk to open but cant copy it to the hard drive, and cant open the other one

Diodorus Siculus 21:36 03 May 07

Do you want to say what the problem with the PC is and someone will be able to offer a diagnostic tool that might work for you?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…