floppy disc

sak41 13:14 11 May 07

hi i have a floppy disc that will not open, it contains word documents..when i try to open the disc..it asks me i want to format it,,please help.

CLONNEN 13:20 11 May 07

Was it formatted on an later operating system by any chance?

Floppies that are formatted on XP cannot be read by earlier operating systems such as Windows 98 or ME.

The moral of the story is ALWAYS format your floppies on your OLDEST operating system.

I have Windows ME, 2000, XP and Vista so I have to format my floppies on Windows ME for them to be readable by every computer we have.

CLONNEN 13:22 11 May 07

To avoid the floppy disk problem in future use an external USB drive instead. There are plenty of cheap little pen-drive or thumb-drive USB devices about which can store far more data than a floppy disk.

Totally-braindead 13:26 11 May 07

Try looking at the disk using Windows Explorer.

CLONNEN 13:29 11 May 07

Put the floppy disk with the word documents into the computer you first formatted it on, then copy the word docs to the hard drive.

Re-format the floppy on other computer.

Copy word docs back to floppy on original computer.

sak41 13:34 11 May 07

so does that mean before i use a disc i should format it first ?

CLONNEN 15:16 11 May 07

When you first open a new box of floppy disks format them in your OLDEST computer system. They do come pre-formatted but the trouble is you don't know what operating system the manufacturer used so it is better to re-do it yourself so that you KNOW.

Then you can put them back into their box safe in the knowledge that they can be used on ANY of your computers.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:33 11 May 07

Floppy recovery click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos