Floppy ,CD and CDRW drive problems

Lasse 15:47 30 Oct 03

It started last weekend. I discovered that my floppy CD and CDRW drives would not read any media. The floppy and the CD gave a message that I should insert a disc. The CDRW folder opened but it was empty. I traced it back to AVG antivirus program. I uninstalled the program and everything was fine. I installed a demo version of Norton anti virus great no problems everything working. I was ready to buy Norton Firewall as well so I downloaded it to try it before I bought it, and installed it. BUT my drives will not work but this time I get a message that they are not valid and the CDRW does the same as before. I unistalled the Firewall and Anti virus reinstalled the antivirus GREAT they all work again. Ihave also tried Norton Internet Security exactly the same. I have only Norton antivirus installed now using XP firewall and it works perfectly. I run Windows XP Proffessional. Has anybody any ideas a virus maybe although I have done a system scan several times now and found nothing. I have also tried deleting the drives from Device Manager but that does not wory either. HELP.

A_World_Maker 16:02 30 Oct 03

Did you try restoring from a 'restore' point, when everything was working fine?

A_World_Maker 16:04 30 Oct 03

It possibly sounds like a driver corruption issue that maybe seen as a virus programme that the Antivirus programes are quarentining. Go back to the good restore point and try reinstalling your antivirus programme.

Lasse 16:34 30 Oct 03

Its not the antivirus that is the problem, thats working fine, its when I install the firewall I get the problems.

Lasse 16:35 30 Oct 03

Sorry forgot restored the computer several times the problem is with the firewall.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…