Floating mouse

The Dazza 19:14 22 Jun 06

I have Windows XP & office xp on one of my machines and sometimes when I'm not touching the mouse the pointer floates very slowly across the screen. Has anyone experienced this problem before? Thanks

Spark6 20:57 22 Jun 06

and not only with Office applications.

I'm using a wired Microsoft optical mouse and this occurred regularly until I replaced my mat with a piece of plain white paper. More accurate and reliable now.

Hope this helps.

Alex-188000 00:07 23 Jun 06

This can be a problem with optical mouses. If you have the mouse ontop of a surface which has loads of detail on it, i.e. a woodgrain, or a really detailed picture then chip inside the mouse thinks its movin as it can be gettin different reflections of the surface. Like Spark said, use a plain mouse mat. Pref a smooth one that isnt too glossy.

mad1234 08:33 23 Jun 06

MY OPTICAL MOUSE DOES THAT ALL THE TIME. SOMETIMES IT CAN'T DECIDE IF IT WANTS TO FLOAT OR NOT & JUST JUDDERS ABOUT. I AGREE WITH SPARK6 & ESKIMO_UK. USE A PLAIN MOUSE MAT.

The Dazza 09:48 23 Jun 06

Yep, that seems to have solved it - no mat - no problem! Thanks guys.

vinnyT 11:30 23 Jun 06

If you find that the responsiveness of the mouse deteriates when using the plain surface, I found the using excel (or other spreadsheet) to printout a sheet of small boxes improved things.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…