//some 3rd party need geo

Flight Simulator 2004

Carafaraday 14:18 21 Nov 04

Can anyone suggest an 'idiot's guide' for this?

Valvegrid 15:41 21 Nov 04

I don't know of an idiots guide as such. Flying a plane is like driving a car, its easy once you've learnt the basics and practiced it. You have the advantage of using a simulator, so if you make a 'pig's ear' of it, no damage is done, apart from your pride.

You need to understand the basics of flying to get the best out of any of the simulator programs, to do that there are a number of flight training manuals to help, Pooleys is a well reconised one which I use click here. This will take you from step one, how all the controls work, how the flaps work, right through to how all the navigational devices work and how to use them and to understand how the aerodynamics work to stop the plane immitating a brick!

The best advice is to pick a simple plane, maybe pick a local airfield to you that you've seen and try doing circuits and bumps, that is taking off then doing a racetrack pattern and landing. You'll find you'll keep crashing, that doesn't matter, you'll find after a period of time the crashes will get less and you'll start to fly further. Don't worry about crashing, frustrating, but no harm.

I have been flying for years now, when I first started, I couldn't even get off the ground without help, now I can handle the big multi-engined planes with ease, including all the nav-aids.

Good luck, and happy flying!

Paul.

Carafaraday 16:18 21 Nov 04

Thanks for that Valvegrid - it's actually for my husband who knows a lot about planes but not much about pcs!

Carafaraday 18:31 21 Nov 04

Thanks for the link to that site - a host of wonderful Christmas present idea there!

Valvegrid 18:56 21 Nov 04

Another Christmas present, get him a decent joystick, or even a control yoke, that'll make his day!

Carafaraday 22:29 21 Nov 04

What on earth is a control yoke?

roy 23:10 21 Nov 04

See click here for some info

roy 23:13 21 Nov 04

Maybe a better link; also see joysticks.

click here

roy 23:20 21 Nov 04

To answer your original question either of these books might fit the bill although there are instructions,guides and lessons in the programme.

click here

click here

hugh-265156 23:24 21 Nov 04

i have FS2002 and have not used FS2004 but my advice is to read all .pdf help files that come with it and use any in game tutorials to pratice.

if its anything like the previous 2002 version there is quite a lot of reading involved and it will take some time to get the hang of it but its very satisfying when you get it right.

i like the heavy metal, set all your course and altitude data first and take off, hit auto pilot and if you input the ils frequencies for the airport you want to land at in the nav it does it all for you almost apart from a flare at landing :-)

its good to just buzz about though. have a look at the forums click here and you will pick up lots of good info. as above get a joystick, even a cheap one is so much better than a keyboard.

hugh-265156 23:34 21 Nov 04

ps. also see click here then sign up for a free account log in and click 'vidoe training tip archives' for some useful videos.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…