Flight Sim X won't uninstall

jonmac 23:04 28 Nov 07

Following advice to uninstall then reinstall MS Flight Sim X before installing SP1 for the sim I found it wouldn't uninstall without errors.
First Error - 1603 Fatal Error during installation. Then when I continued, another message...Internal Error 2329. 32 C:\Config.Msi\6c249.rtf
I tried a repair of the installation and also a reinstall on top of what's there to no avail.
Help, anyone?

Technotiger 23:14 28 Nov 07

You could try a System Restore back to before you first tried to un-install - and/or you could run Ccleaner click here then do a re-boot and then try again.

jonmac 13:00 29 Nov 07

Correction, that file extension is .rbf not .rtf.
Tried a restore which failed to complete overnight for some reason so had to kill the system, re-boot then re-do it with another date. Then downloaded CCleaner, ran it and tried again. Still no luck, another error message about not having access to a particular file altho' I'm System Administrator on my home PC.

crosstrainer 13:03 29 Nov 07

In safe mode (tap F8 key on boot-up, choose safe mode)

jonmac 22:24 29 Nov 07

Not sure how to do this as on my Mesh PC as F8 leads into a dialogue intended to define which sources to boot from e.g. hard disk, DVD drive etc.
The other option the Delete key leads into a recovery procedure in which an XP Pro icon appears (I have XP Home) then a message saying that an XP installation couldn't be found. Strange.

jonmac 23:02 29 Nov 07

More accurately (because I just tried it again) the delete key is called "set up" and leads to a screen with 3 choices.
1 - Run the Windows XP native recovery tool
2 - Recover damaged OS or application files
3 - Restore to factory state
I presume 1 and 2 would be relatively safe to run but I would be concerned about 3. Would I lose installed software for instance?

gudgulf 23:05 29 Nov 07

Try the F5 key instead of F8 to get to Safe Mode.

jonmac 08:29 30 Nov 07

gudgulf
Tried that but it just stopped dead so I had to reboot.

Mike D 16:21 30 Nov 07

On my PC F8 also brings up boot options, but if I carry on pressing F8 after I move on from the Boot Options screen I get into Safe Mode OK.

jonmac 00:16 01 Dec 07

Mike D - Thanks for that. It worked on second attempt but when I tried the uninstall procedure via Control Panel it just did nothing except briefly flash the Installshield box, then nothing. I have also run CCleaner again, Spybot and Adaware.

ashdav 01:45 01 Dec 07

First step is to use Control Panel/Add or remove programs.
If this is unsuccessful then go to Start/My Computer/Programs and delete the Flight Sim folder.
Then use Ccleaner/Registry/Scan for issues/Fix issues then repeat the Ccleaner scan for issues until it returns no results.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos