Flight Sim 2004 problems

Marvin Grunt 10:41 13 Jan 05

If I try to start a flying lesson or select a flight, FS 2004 simply closes down. I can make it work in the program's 'safe mode' (whatever that is), but the audio instructions in a lesson always 'stutter' at the start of each instruction. If I try to alter the weather conditions during a flight, I sometimes get a blue screen with an error message about DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL.
I have istalled the update from microsoft, plus the latest driver for my nVidia FX5200. I have 512Mb RAM, an AMD XP3200+ processor, Win XP home, SP2. The Microsoft website has numerous suggestions, most of which are not applicable, and one involves loss of functionality of other services. (Why can't they ever get it right?)
Anyone got any ideas please?

Jdoki 11:21 13 Jan 05

I'm not familiar with FS2004 - but I have had similar problems in the past on other software.

Something to try (if you haven't already)...

1. Turn the graphics resolution down to minimum with all the effects and detail off. If it runs fine then start upping the res and if it still works start upping the effects/detail until it bombs out again.

Also, disable sound if possible, while you are doing the above. The final step would be to turn sound on again and test.

If the software runs fine in safe mode it suggests that some incompatibility is triggering the problem under certain circumstances. If possible, note down the settings the game uses when running in safe mode, and compare them to your normal settings.

roy 11:45 13 Jan 05

Rushed for time at the present but, is there anything here that helps?

click here

Alternatively you might get help on on of the Flight Sim forums.

roy 13:39 13 Jan 05

Hmm. Had a look at above webpage and didn't see anything that would help you.

Your pc is well up to the demands of the game as I play it with an average of 25/30 fps with an Athlon 1800+.

I am guessing that you have only had the program since Christmas or fairly recently. Have you done the full instal (recommended) and if so a reinstal might help if a file has become corrupted. Have you had any similar problems before? I am wondering if your graphics card could be at fault or your soundcard (if you have one) although as I said your graphics card is ok on paper. MS flight sims are all very processor-demanding anyway.

Sorry that I have nothing else to contribute at present.

In passing, my Grandson recently built a pc for gaming but it would not play games. It crashed.
The dealer tested all the parts he had bought and the whole system and it passed all the benchmark tests with flying colours. Eventually my Grandson pursuaded the engineer to load one of his games and it immediately crashed and continued to do so a number of times. This time the engineer said he would get to the bottom of it and, in short, fitted a new motherboard. Touch wood, all is now well.
Personally, I don't think your problem is due to Microsoft.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…