flickering windows....any ideas. please?

carlos 20:13 28 Oct 03

Got a Iiama VM pro 450 monitor...set the refresh rate from 70 thro to 90Mhz but still get all new windows that I open, eg this one, flickering ( the usual, almost subliminal one that some people can't see lol ). The desktop doesn't flicker at all....To re-iterate, if I open this site up, for eg, the window flickers, no matter the refresh rate. Time to change the monitor...or can I change some setting ?. Video card is ATI AIW,OS is XP. Only started having this prob after I changed OS from 98 to XP. Coincidental? Any comments/advice would be gratefully recd.

Djohn 20:43 28 Oct 03

Check for any magnetic interference close to the monitor. Speakers and desktop lamps, especially the 12Volt type are the most likely cause. Move anything that has a transformer in it, away from the monitor.

carlos 21:19 28 Oct 03

Good point, but....previous monitor:didn't happen then. Got a satellite speaker approx. 2ft( metric????) away from monitor but didn't have a prob before. Interestingly, the flickering has " settled down" now, as it usually does. Weird...
Nb I thought it was "I" before "E" except after c.....

wee eddie 21:19 28 Oct 03

Is it possible that you need new drivers for your new OS.

TommyRed 21:25 28 Oct 03

If it is the monitor, I got a 17" recon one offa e-bay for ?30.00 though I was able to collect it, therefore cutting down the cost. HTH TR

carlos 13:45 29 Oct 03

Didn't realise it was the AIW was that old....... time flies.
Perhaps it's on it's last legs. Got up-to-date drivers tho. Did that when I changed from 98 to XP couple of months ago. Thanks for suggestions...looks like the card is beginning to "play up"

wee eddie 16:18 29 Oct 03

the current model is the 9800. I obviously have no idea how old yours is as you gave no Model number.

Age does not mean it is at fault.

Are you running it at it's optimum definition.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…