flickering lights by network cable plug

mec13 19:40 22 Feb 05

Advice needed than help, regarding two little lights next to my network cable (just recently wired networked to my 2nd computer), noticed that next to my network cable, 2 LED's green/amber are lit. The amber flickers when both computers are on the internet, and when I shut down the computer both LED's are still 'on'. Obviously turning of the machine by the main switch extinguishes the lights. OS is XP home sp2, and I use a dail-up connection, one host computer to a 2nd one on xp etc, and both have the same symptoms. Is this normal? because my usual practice is to just click on 'shut down' and let the computer do the rest. Or should I also switch of at the main switch to turn of everything. Or are these little lights trying to tell me something is wrong!

octal 19:54 22 Feb 05

Normally when you shut down, the power supply inside is still on standby, like your television when you switch it off at the remote, to make sure they are off completely you must switch off at the mains.

octal 19:55 22 Feb 05

Meant to add the lights are normal.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:20 22 Feb 05

This is perfectly normal.

Lights will go out if you unplug the network cable.

Chezdez 20:27 22 Feb 05

yup, perfectly normal, mine are always on, except when the other guys unplugs his computer, once or twice i've been a bit worried by that!!

mec13 20:38 22 Feb 05

Well thats another problem solved by your good selves, thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…