Flatbed scanners for photos

johndrew 15:40 03 Sep 08

The more I look the more confused I get!!!

Basically what I need is a decent quality scanner that will allow me to take the many photos (monochrome and colour) in both print and 35mm format and get them onto my computer to allow me to produce family albums and some quality prints for framing. It would be nice if I could also scan important documents (birth, marriage and death certificates and similar) in to complete the picture (no pun intended). Given the number of photos and slides, a level of automation (if within reasonable cost boundaries) and speed is also one of the considerations.

Ideally the scanner will also permit sending of the pictures/documents directly to my printer if I wish to do so.

I have looked extensively at the items available and advertised on this and many other sites but, with little knowledge of what the various specifications mean to the output quality, I am suffering data overload. I know that several people here use scanners to do similar tasks to that which I intend and ask for a little advice and suggestions on choice.

Many thanks in anticipation.

woodchip 15:43 03 Sep 08

Epson Perfection click here

Technotiger 15:46 03 Sep 08

I use the Epson Perfection 3490 Photo - It is excellent. As well as the normal scanning uses, it Scans 35mm film and Slides.

woodchip 15:53 03 Sep 08

Mine is the RX620 multi-function Printer with the above scanner built into lid

pj123 17:56 03 Sep 08

Mine is the Epson Perfection 3170 and does the same thing as Technotiger's 3490.

Go for Epson.

Quiet Life 18:04 03 Sep 08

The V200 is pretty good see click here and much cheaper. Not much automation but the quality is good.

Weskit 18:34 03 Sep 08

Concur re the V200, Full Auto Mode is about as easy as it gets...

peter99co 18:47 03 Sep 08

Go for Epson and try their own website for a good price I had mine delivered in two days

johndrew 18:53 03 Sep 08

Thanks for coming back everyone.

Looks as if it is now an Epson which reduces the field quite a lot. The V200 gets a few votes and is cheap. What are the main differences between the V200, 3490 and 4490 - apart from price. Is it speed, quality or what? And is the 4490 a newer version of the 3490?

Will I need additional software/leads?

Sorry to keep asking but it is the easiest way of getting answers!!

johndrew 18:55 03 Sep 08

Did you buy direct from Epson? If so do you happen to have their URL, please?

Technotiger 19:06 03 Sep 08

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017