Flatbed Scanner Use?

albu 20:25 27 Sep 05

Hi!

With a flatbed scanner once your section or page of text is scanned in to MS Word, can you use Word to change font/text, size?

Thinking of buying a scanner for use with Win. XP Home and Word 2000, Any advice? Which makes are best?

Any help at all! Many Thanks.

johnnyrocker 20:28 27 Sep 05

i dont think the scanned origanal can be edited but i believe if you copy /paste the scanned image you can then edit (that is unless someone knows different)

johnny.

VoG II 20:30 27 Sep 05

If you have Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software - and this often comes bundled with scanners - then you can subsequently apply any formatting that you like in Word. Otherwise it will be scanned as a picture and your formatting options will be limited.

Totally-braindead 20:32 27 Sep 05

I'm not 100% sure but if its just text and comes with OCR (optical character recognition software) then once you scan with this you SHOULD be able to change Fonts etc but have to point out I've never tried it. I'm sure someone thats tried it will advise.

GaT7 20:34 27 Sep 05

Hi albu, to achieve what you're asking you need OCR - Optical Character Recognition - software.

I haven't bought a scanner for a long time, but I think most scanners these days come with OCR sw. Best to check this before purchasing, as some may have better OCR sw bundled with the scanner than others. Of course, you can buy OCR sw separately as well - but that's [unnecessary] additional expenditure. Good luck with the purchase. G

ruskle 20:47 27 Sep 05

I use Office XP Pro which includes Word and it includes OCR and I find it works very well. You need to enable Microsoft Office Tools(which is on the disk) when installing the software,

GaT7 21:01 27 Sep 05

albu, what do you want to use the scanner for? This should help people give better advice & recommendations.

Scanners sorted by ascending prices click here - you can use the filtering on the left to narrow down your search, & the 'Compare' feature as well. It would be nice if they mentioned which scanners were bundled with OCR.

Some info about OCR click here.

Advice on buying a scanner click here & click here. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…