Flatbed scanner software

Tangotaffy 23:41 01 Sep 05

I'm using Windows XP and I've bought a s/h Mustek Scanexpress 1200UB but the installation disk is only for windows98. Have installed the XP driver from the Mustek site but cannot open and install the other installation files. The scanner is recognised and works with a freeware program called Imageforge but this is not ideal. Can anyone recommend some user friendly scanner software (preferably free)until I can afford a decent scanner.

woodchip 23:48 01 Sep 05

All you need is drivers the scanner should work in lots of programs if you get the drivers.

click here

Dumble452 01:18 02 Sep 05

Is this of any interest? click here

Stuartli 10:41 02 Sep 05

Is this the driver you have downloaded

click here

Note there are different but similar model numbers for this scanner such as UB, USB...:-)

Stuartli 10:46 02 Sep 05

The Mustek website download is at:

click here

and includes installation instructions for XP

Stuartli 10:48 02 Sep 05

Apart from uninstalling any other similar drivers you should install the drivers before connecting your scanner if it is a USB type.

jack 14:30 02 Sep 05

Earlier this year this forum had a flood of similar posers about Mustek Scanners and in particular the BearPaw series
After many trials and tribulations by those posting and me with a friends own scanner, the conclusion drawn was that scanners -generally- built during the 98 era would not easily transfer to NTFS. [some makes were dual- but a lot were not.]
And this is because a scanner has a processor of its own internally that handles the scan tracking and imaging and all that. The built in firmware would only recognise 98 DOS commands.
Mustek posted 'conversion' drivers but in the main they did not work.
So it will be a New scanner for you
Christmas is a coming.

Tangotaffy 20:39 15 Sep 05

nuff said

Totally-braindead 21:44 15 Sep 05

Tangotaffy I have an old Agfa scanner, I use it maybe every 2 - 3 months but got it to work under XP by using the Win 2000 driver. Its worth a try, I'd buy a new scanner but I use it so seldom I can't justify it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…