flat screen technology

roisin 10:45 10 Dec 04

I am currently employed by an architectural firm and we are looking into purchasing new PC's. I'm finding the technology very confusing and finding it extremely difficult to compare prices weve recieved as the specifications appear to vary so much. What is the diffirence between LCD flat screens and TST screens? What should I be looking oiut for in buying flat screen monitors?

Tog_ 11:36 10 Dec 04

The engineers at my old company who used CAD packages wanted:

Big screens, high resolution, no flicker & good viewing angles so they could point out something to the guy sitting next to them. They also had a hankering for monitors with black surrounds.

I've always assumed TFT to be better than LCD but never actually checked up on it.

Tog_ 11:39 10 Dec 04

By big, I mean 19" plus

roisin 11:42 10 Dec 04

I've established that TFT stands for THIN FILM TRANSISTOR but am still non the wiser as to which would be the best value for our company

roisin 12:18 10 Dec 04

Short for liquid crystal display, a type of display used in digital watches and many portable computers. LCD displays utilize two sheets of polarizing material with a liquid crystal solution between them. An electric current passed through the liquid causes the crystals to align so that light cannot pass through them. Each crystal, therefore, is like a shutter, either allowing light to pass through or blocking the light.
Monochrome LCD images usually appear as blue or dark gray images on top of a grayish-white background. Color LCD displays use two basic techniques for producing color: Passive matrix is the less expensive of the two technologies. The other technology, called thin film transistor (TFT) or active-matrix, produces color images that are as sharp as traditional CRT displays, but the technology is expensive. Recent passive-matrix displays using new CSTN and DSTN technologies produce sharp colors rivaling active-matrix displays.

Most LCD screens used in notebook computers are backlit, or transmissive, to make them easier to read.

Graham ® 12:39 10 Dec 04

The best advice is to go and look for yourselves. PCWorld, Dixons, etc., have a variety on display, often with the same picture so you can compare. As Tog_ says, the viewing angle is often important.

Fellsider 15:35 10 Dec 04

As far as I know there are two main advantages with TFT

1. They are obviously lighter in weight

2. They are supposed to be better for your eyes, since getting mine I definately don't tire so easily when using it.

Djohn 15:54 10 Dec 04

Try this site for a review of TFT screens and what to look for in choosing one. click here

zinnie 20:37 10 Dec 04

roisin....for non-crt monitors there are really only two fundamentaly different technologies, LCD and plasma.For PC monitors they are LCD. If you are buying a PC now/2005 buy LCD (which I have )but it is important to make sure you have the right characteristics .Brightness 250/350 c/m2 , contrast 400/500:1 and respose time 16Mms or less. I find my 17in display less stressful than my old 17in crt ..but I guess that's all subjective. But as was suggested, go and look and there are real differences between manufacturers.....the screen is the one area where it really is worth buying the best.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…