FLAT SCREEN RESOLUTIONS

bpzoom 17:44 20 Dec 10

My computer is a gradual build over several years and is presently a low spec by modern standards but perfectly adequate for my use. Although I have ceased adding to its spec, I would like a flat screen display for space reasons. My graphics thingy on the motherboard allows a maximum resolution of 1280 x 1024. Without going to the bother and cost of adding a higher spec graphics card, can anyone tell me please, do the limitations of my current graphics resolution prevent me from successfully using a modern flat screen display of say 19" with a stated maximum resolution higher than my maximum? I hope this is not a stupid question but I suppose I am asking if modern displays must be or are normally used at their stated maximum resolution?

GaT7 17:58 20 Dec 10

Yes, if your graphics card (GPU for short) can only do max of 1280*1024, going for a 19" widescreen TFT will need either 1440*900 or 1600*900 at its native resolution - this is when everything is at its sharpest on a modern flat-screen, & is the recommended resolution to use it at.

But you never know with newer drivers. I'm using an old ATI Radeon 7000 on one of my PCs & it can go up to 1920*1200 on a 24" TFT monitor. And so can an integrated GPU do on another.

Start by telling us your GPU make & model - we may be able to find out if its capable of those resolutions or not. If not, we can suggest an alternative. G

GaT7 18:03 20 Dec 10

I should have also mentioned that a non-widescreen 19" will most likely have a native resolution of 1280*1024, so you should be OK with one of those if they're still available to buy these days. G

bpzoom 18:10 20 Dec 10

Thank you. It is an INTEL(R) Extreme Graphics 2 with a driver date of around 2005. There is a newer driver available dated 2007 which allows a higher resolution, but my mate looked at the Intel site download small print which said they do the driver for Windows 7 but not for XP ! The previous (before mine) was for Windows ME.

bpzoom 18:13 20 Dec 10

Sorry forgot to add INTEL (R) 82865G Graphics Controller.

GaT7 18:27 20 Dec 10

Yes, a 2005 driver version appears to be the latest for XP & your GPU click here, but no mention of supported resolutions in the release notes.

Another search says that drivers for Win7 are actually not available for your GPU click here & they have no plans for releasing any either click here (my integrated GPU is a little newer, so has support for Win7).

Do you have an AGP/PCI-E slot on your motherboard? Or even a spare PCI slot? You could get a suitable GPU if you do. G

bpzoom 19:54 20 Dec 10

Thank you for confirming that. I think there is a spare PCI slot. Before I think about adding a card I will take up your other suggestion that i.e " a non-widescreen 19" will most likely have a native resolution of 1280*1024, so you should be OK with one of those if they're still available to buy these days." Many thanks for your help. B.

GaT7 20:10 20 Dec 10

Do check the specs closely of the ones you'll be considering though. For best results, its "native" resolution (not supported resolution) needs to be 1280*1024.

I'd recommend a widescreen one, but if it means adding a GPU that will take it past your budget, I suppose a 4:3 one will have to do for now. G

bpzoom 22:31 20 Dec 10

Many, many thanks indeed for all your excellent advice. By 4:3 I guess you mean not wide screen. I will have a poke around and see what is available. Have a great Christmas and thanks again.

GaT7 23:21 20 Dec 10

"By 4:3 I guess you mean not wide screen."

Yes, that's right. The most common widescreen aspect rations are 16:10 & 16:9.

I forgot to mention earlier that some 19" widescreen monitors come with a native resolution of 1368*768 (16:9). (Not that it makes any difference really!)

"Have a great Christmas and thanks again."

You're welcome, & I wish you the same as well :-), G

bpzoom 23:25 20 Dec 10

Sorry to come back again, but I have gone through the specs of 13 appropriate displays all stocked by BT as it happens, but none mention "native" resolution at all. They all just say maximum resolution.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac