flat screen monitors

My 17" standard monitor has just died and I am thinking of replacing it with a 15" flat screen one. Can anyone recommend a good, reliable model? I have read that Sharps are very good. A local supplier recommends AOC. I'd be grateful for any comments, tips etc.

Thanks

Djohn 21:48 31 Jan 03

click here and search for TFT monitors, you will find three separate test of a good dozen or so 15" one's, enjoy!

anchor 09:35 01 Feb 03

It does depend on how much you wish to spend. However, a new review of TFT monitors in, (I hesitate to mention a competitor magazine), Computer Buyer chose this as best buy:

Philips 150S3F 15"

"The bezel is impressively thin, enhancing the picture. Image quality was good thanks to a bright image, though colours could have been a touch more vivid. The OSD was straightforward to use, providing direct access to brightness, though not to contrast. However, contrast was good, and we could clearly distinguish the different levels of black in our photograph test and there was no problem with fast motion.

What really impressed us was the clean and rock-solid picture that lacked the interference afflicting the lesser panels. At the price, the Philips has a great picture. If you can live without a DVI connection, buy it".

price: £253 incl:vat

TOPCAT® 09:50 01 Feb 03

... is rated highly here.

click here

Just a further question on this subject, has anyone found any problems playing games on TFTs? Most used in our household are: Tomb Raider, Red Alert, Rollercoaster.

The link from Djohn is useful, but as prices are all in dollars, presumably not a good site to buy from!

Thanks for help so far - keep the comments coming!

tenor 13:41 01 Feb 03

TFT,s dont recover quite as fast as crts so you might see a little shadowing,depends just how fast things are running.

cyclingchef 15:24 01 Feb 03

I have used a 15" LCD for about a year a Eizo L365. Eizo LCD's are not easily found and tend to be a wee bit more expensive than average but in this case "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR" For best performance you need DVI input (which cheaper panels don't have) a lot of recent graphics card GeForce3 & 4 plus better ATI cards have DVI output. Advantage? digital out from graphics - digital in to LCD, no digital-analogue/analogue - digital conversion. As tenor says for gaming try to get a screen refresh rate around 25ms (lower is better) to avoid 'ghosting. Aagin cheaper panel usually means higher refresh rate.

misery 19:36 01 Feb 03

a Sharp TFT for just on a year now and it's great!

Locator 20:20 01 Feb 03

I'm currently using a HPPavilionfx50 15".
Definition is good as are refresh rates.
It also has the advantage of rotating to A4 for word processing.

I've had no problems so far. It'a a bit pricy, but yoy get what you pay for.

Regards

flecc 23:04 01 Feb 03

If you mean TFT, no comment, but if a 17" true flatscreen CRT is of interest, I've just bought a stunning one from Dabs for an amazing £89 including VAT. It's under the Dabsvalue name but is in fact a Chinese sourced model from their largest manufacturer of these.

I have it alongside a £230 CTX PR705 flatscreen and the pictures are almost indistinguishable, clearly a best buy.

Careful on site though. They also have a very average curved screen alternative at £84 and it's easy to order that by mistake.

fitcher 00:04 02 Feb 03

I play quake on a liquid display ctx no dead pixels great .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…