Flat panel or CRT

ray27 08:51 16 Oct 03

I purchased a new computer last March but due to a series of unfortunate problems the company concerned has agreed to a refund.

I now find myself in the situation of having to go through the whole process again.

I have learnt an awful lot thanks to many people on this forum and wonder if you can assist once again.

The last time I asked the company to change the specification from a flat panel monitor to a CTR as my eyesight is not so good and I had read that it was easier to read text on the CRT.

Things have moved on since then and I am wondering if the same holds true.

Should I opt for the flat panel monitor (one that would be equivalent to a 19 in CRT) or a CRT?
Many thanks Ray

Danoh 09:02 16 Oct 03

Ray, I've found that it seems to vary from person to person.

It also depends on the make & model of the CRT or flat panel monitor, as well as the type of screen work you do.

Entering into cells in large spreadsheets, I found large CRT better for prolonged usage which surprised me. Flat panel is fine, but somehow the CRT has the edge for me.

Conversely, word processing is far better on flat panel IMHO.

Gaming is much better on CRT; better for the dark scenes and fast moving action that doesn't smear/blur.

So you should go and try out some flat panel and CRT displays to find out your own personal preferences, noting down the model and make as they seem to vary in quality quite a bit.

Hope that helps.

goonerbill 09:07 16 Oct 03

as danoh said, it all depends on the persons eyesite.

the best thing to do is get ya feet ready for some walking and look in as many comp. shops and ask to see the same thing running on all the monitors to get a comparision ( if they will )

Stuartli 09:11 16 Oct 03

I've recently been occasionally using a new 17in Sharp TFT screen, which is quite superb (it comes as part of a Mesh system).

The elderly lady who acquired the system has no problems reading even quite small text onscreen with her normal glasses; in any case the Accessibilty controls could quickly be used to enhance picture or text if it was ever necessary.

Bruce_Lee 09:11 16 Oct 03

The price difference could be a comparison as well. I recently bought a 19" Samsung CRT monitor for just over £100 with a 3 year warranty! The cheapest (but still branded) 17" Flat Panel monitor I could find was still well over £200!

By the way don't buy a Dell 19" CRT monitor or flat panel as they are awful (I use several of each at work).

Djohn 09:49 16 Oct 03

I agree with the above post. In saying that, I have a 17" TFT monitor and would never dream of going back to a CRT. The advantages are many and disadvantages few. The latest TFT's as reviewed by tomshardware equal CRT monitors both in games and graphic work where purity of colour is very important.

The main disadvantage I've found is the size of the text on some websites can be a little on the small side, I have now got used to this, but if I were to choose again, then I would go for a 15" screen. This may sound strange to you, a 15" screen is smaller than a 17". Thats true and although you fit less on the screen, the text and graphics are larger. [You mention poor eyesight].

TFT monitors give off their best when run at their native resolution, this determines the size of text/graphics on the screen. 17" are best at 1280x1024 and 15" at 1024x768. Using these settings the text is sharp enough to cut your fingers. You can move away from the native resolution, but the display will deteriorate quite a bit therefore losing the advantage that you have just paid a lot of money for.

CRT's have the advantage of being able to set your resolution at a size that suits your eyes without losing out to quality of display, they are also much less expensive.

PC World is a good place to spend some time looking at the different types and size of monitor, ask one of the sales staff to run a movie for you and also to display a text program such as "Wordpad", select a font size of 10 or 12 and type a few lines to see if you feel comfortable with the size displayed on-screen.

Take your time and choose carefully, I wish you the best of luck with your new PC and I'm sure that this time you will not have the same problems you experienced before.

Stuartli 10:15 16 Oct 03

You can change the text sizes for IE/OE in View and selecting whichever size you need, from small to largest. Most people choose Medium.

Do the same setting for both programs.

Djohn 10:20 16 Oct 03

Thank you Stuartli for reminding me. I'm using AOLs browser and forgot it offered the same facility. Small medium and large, mine was set to small. :o(

ray27 12:48 16 Oct 03

Many thanks for all the advice.

I have been down to Comets and Curry?s and I think I will choose the system with the CRT Mitsubishi Diamond Pro as this was the one that came with the last system and that was very good.

Once again many thanks
PS I am using my son's lap top and that is awfull

The Spires 13:35 16 Oct 03

No doubt that flats screens will push CRT's out in the near future, not having to ship 40kg of glass around the world must be an incentive for manufactures. The only issue I have with this is I know several 'friends' who have tipped high quality CRT displays for some cheapo CFT with one pixel out of 5 working in the mistaken belief (which is driven on by some advertising) that a flat screen is always better. A high quality TFT screen will outperform a cheap & nasty CTR & the reverse is true. It's like front or rear wheel drive, which is better... Well it depends. Me, I love my 19? Iiyama & it?s almost thief proof. :-)

The Spires 13:38 16 Oct 03

Forget the myriad of typos, sorry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…