Flat Panel Displays - TOP TIP?

tbh72 14:58 01 Sep 03

I have a flat panel display, it's an entry level display which I have had for almost a year. I have found it quite difficult to get a sharp / crisp image & it usually takes several presses of the auto button to do just that. You have to strain your eyes checking for flicker etc. I have stumbled across a simple method of clearly seeing when the monitor is set up correctly & thought I would share it with you guy's here.

Clicking "Win98se" on the start / shutdown button grey's out the screen, it is during this mode when it is SO easy to see when the monitor is flickering, even if just a slight flicker. From this mode I am able to use the AUTO button on the monitor to get a sharp / crisp image?

Could this be the easiest way to check monitor flicker? Or do people use different methods?

Regards
T

toz666 15:11 01 Sep 03

lol just tried it m8 on my normal monitor, and yup it does work , because on my recent reinstall i forgot to set my refresh rate from default to my norm settings and the faded grey screen does make it more visable.oh and it works on win xp same.

tbh72 12:45 02 Sep 03

For all to see & comment on!!!

Pesala 13:01 02 Sep 03

Not sure what you mean by "Clicking "Win98se" on the start / shutdown button" though.

In Windows ME, when I click on Shut Down, the display greys out. I can then click on Cancel not to shut down. No sign of flicker on my CRT monitor.

appletrees 13:19 02 Sep 03

In Windows XP, when you click on START > TURN OFF COMPUTER, the colours fade gradually, but are revived if you click on CANCEL.
No flicker at all on my 19" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 900U, which is currently set to 1024 x 768, with 85 Hz refresh rate. It'll go to much higher resolution easily, but then it gets harder to read!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…