flat panel display??

darrboyy 19:31 13 Jan 05

what is the difference between a tft flat panel display and a lcd tv which can be used as a "pc monitor" as the latter are far cheaper?

freaky 19:43 13 Jan 05

TFT stands for....Thin Film Transistor.

LCD...............Liquid Crystal Display.

LCD gives a much superior display.

TFT was mainly used for Laptop Screens.

freaky

Djohn 21:59 13 Jan 05

TFT stands for "Thin Film Transistor" and describes the control elements that actively control the individual pixels. LCD means "Liquid Crystal Display" and stands for monitors that are based on liquid crystals.

Above paragraph taken from the tech guide, and tends to imply that they are both the same thing for general advertising purpose. TFT meaning the transistors that control the LCD display.

There are several types of TFT display panel though, each with its own advantage/disadvantage.

Totally-braindead 23:27 13 Jan 05

I haven't seen it personally but am given to understand that the LCD TV screen you talk about would not give as good a picture as a TFT, how bad it is and whether you would find it acceptable would be up to you to decide once you'd seen one. Personally I wouldn't use one of these dualpurpose screens on my PC as the PC dedicated ones give a better picture and I spend a fair amount of time on my PC looking at the screen.

GaT7 00:15 14 Jan 05

For a more indepth explanation with pictures - LCD TV and TFT LCD Displays - click here. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…