Flashing lights on wireless router

Glen 11:58 08 Apr 14

I have a Talktalk Huawei HG523A router. Frequently the Internet light and/or the Wireless LAN lights are flashing continually. A laptop 4 metres away in clear view always connects on line without difficulty. However a Smart TV (Linsar TV/DVD 22 LED 1000) has great difficulty establishing a connection, despite the USB dongle being only 3.2 metres away, also in direct sight. The TV is presumed not to be at fault as it was recently exchanged under guarantee for a different fault. Both sets had the same difficulty logging on to the internet. Do the flashing router lights indicate a weak signal or a fault. Glen

Ian in Northampton 12:03 08 Apr 14

Glen: fwiw, my router is a completely different one, but the Internet, Ethernet and wi-fi lights flash continuously at all times - so I don't think it's a sign of a fault. If you've had the same problem with the same TV twice, I'd suggest there may be an issue at that end. Does your TV have a wired Ethernet connection you could try? Alternatively, is there something in the TV's settings you can change?

You say "great difficulty", btw. But - it does eventually manage to make the wireless connection?

Another thing to try might be a different USB wi-fi dongle.

Woolwell 17:29 08 Apr 14

The manual shows that the flashing internet and wlan lights indicate that data is being transmitted therefore normal.

The problem may well be with the dongle. However it may well be worthwhile changing the wifi channel.

spuds 17:50 08 Apr 14

I have raised similar questions before on this forum regarding a TalkTalk supplied Huawei HG 520b router, which at times seems to have a mind of its own.

So I will be watching this thread with interest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017