Flashing light on new pc

Catastrophe 12:35 13 Jan 11

This has nothing to do with beeps so I have started a new thread.

Received this morning a board complete with fitted CPU and RAM. Bought on eBay as working. Tried out of the pc case and it started fine.

Fitted in the case and power pilot light flashed on front of pc presumably indicating no signal to monitor. Tried with 2 different AGP graphics cards and 2 PCI cards. Still flashing. Tried second PSU with different gs's. No change. Tried second monitor with its cable (not first cable). Still flashing. Reconnected second monitor and cable to its original pc - working fine.

Have I somehow managed to spoil the board or the processor? I have been at this for years and never had static or other damage. The board was resting on a wooden plank sitting on the pc (on its side). I have used this before without problem.

Any suggestions please?

:)

keef66 12:41 13 Jan 11

When you say "Tried out of the pc case and it started fine" do you mean it booted up and produced an image on the monitor?

If so, I'd assume it's shorting somewhere when it's fitted into the case.

Catastrophe 12:46 13 Jan 11

keef66

"When you say "Tried out of the pc case and it started fine" do you mean it booted up and produced an image on the monitor"

Yes, it was sitting on the wooden plank as described below. It got through to saying no bootable device (which there wasn't).

Does that mean that the board and/or processor are a goner?

:(

GaT7 12:47 13 Jan 11

Looks like your case is at fault/shorting, as whenever (or most times) you have any setup outside the case, it seems to work fine:

"Tried OUT of the pc case and it started fine."

"Fitted IN the case and power pilot light flashed on front of pc presumably indicating no signal to monitor."

And from your other related thread (click here for the others):

"Why did the board function OK OUT of the case but fail when INserted?"

Is that right, or is there something you missed telling us? G

Catastrophe 13:00 13 Jan 11

Crossbow7

Thank you for your input. I don't quite understand the question. It worked OK outside but not in the case.

The case is a Lian Li with plenty of risers. I have had at least one other board in that case working fine with no problems so I don't see why this one should short. Any ideas?

:)

Catastrophe 13:03 13 Jan 11

When I said INserted, of course I meant powered off and fitted without gc's which was/were then put pack before powering up.

I didn't insert board with power on.

GaT7 13:07 13 Jan 11

"I have had at least one other board in that case working fine with no problems so I don't see why this one should short."

Good question, but then again it seems that (only?) this particular motherboard has a problem in this particular case (or it's yet another one of those computing mysteries!)

Have you tried this motherboard in another case? G

GaT7 13:08 13 Jan 11

By 'INserted', I thought you meant when fitted IN the case. G

Catastrophe 13:18 13 Jan 11

"Have you tried this motherboard in another case? "

No, since it is not working out of the case. It only arrived this morning.

I probably have had a similar situation recenty with other boards. There was a perfectly working board in this case which I took out still working. I took this out and tried two or three other boards and found same problem.

I should have made notes as I have two cases in which I am trying to get new boards going. This is over several weeks. Hence I am not entirely sure. I have about five P4P800 boards of different flavours SE/E/F. At least two may be dead.

I have the impression that I have had a problem like this and a day or two later the board worked. Is this possible or is it returning from the dead?

What I mean, I guess, is can you have a short causing only a temporary glitch?

Catastrophe 13:20 13 Jan 11

"By 'INserted', I thought you meant when fitted IN the case."

Yes, I meant when filled in the case

GaT7 13:41 13 Jan 11

"What I mean, I guess, is can you have a short causing only a temporary glitch?"

Yes, you can. I've had a similar problem in the past - board worked out of the case, but not in the case. I don't know how I solved it though, otherwise I would've told you!

Perhaps in your case (no pun intended) it could be about the screws. Sometimes tightening the screws can warp the board ever so slightly & cause a tiny circuit or two to break. To test this theory, try it in the case, but not secured by any screws. Careful though, as you don't want the underside of the board scraping any of the case's risers.

"Yes, I meant when filled in the case"

OK good, we're in agreement there then! I wasn't trying to insinuate anything else, as you took it to mean. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…