Flashing LCD Monitor

DJ-Garry 17:38 31 Aug 07

Hi guys.

I have just bought a second hand LCD monitor from eBay (yes I know) and when connected to my quite old and basic PC it flashes.
It's totally black screen for about 5 seconds, then a quick 1/4 second flash of picture (with the 'adjusting' legend in the centre of the screen and that's it. 5 seconds later another flash, and so on.....
I thought the graphics card in the PC was only 8 Mb and it does runs the little 14" CRT monitor fine at 1024 x 768 at 16 bit. I've just checked it in the advanced section of the display properties and it says it's got only 2Mb memory.
Could this small amount of graphics memory be causing the problem or does it look like the monitor is shot????

Cheers, Garry

ambra4 22:33 31 Aug 07

what model and size of lcd monitor

DJ-Garry 22:50 31 Aug 07

It's a 17" HP Pavilion f1723. The graphics I could just about see on it didn't seem to be at a very high resolution. It was probably still set to 1024 x 768 at 16 bit by the graphics card and windows settings. I think the monitor is capable of 1280x1024 as are most normal aspect 17" LCD screens.

woodchip 23:02 31 Aug 07

The resolution will be set too high, it will be set for your old monitor most likely a Crt. You need to start in safe mode and drop Resolution and Refresh rate should be 60hz

DJ-Garry 23:20 31 Aug 07

Right. Not connected with this LCD monitor, but the screen that tell you which key to press to get into safe mode is either not coming up when I re start or is flashing up so quick I can't see it.
I have got the machine to shut down and boot into safe mode before by typing something into 'Start' 'Run' and changing a setting. Does anyone know what I'm on about because I can't remember how to do it.

woodchip 23:28 31 Aug 07

Try both F8 and F5 as computer starts F5 should take you strait in

DJ-Garry 00:19 01 Sep 07

F5 got me into safe mode satartup screen but it said I can't put this machine into safe mode because Windows is not registered, which it is, so I tried changing the screen properties setting to 800 x 600 at 16bit, the lowest I could, before restating. It was already at 60Hz. When it did start up, it was at that resolution but still the screen is flashing.

AAAAHHHHHH !!!!

ambra4 00:49 01 Sep 07

SupaGaz

Did you get a manual with the LCD display? As there are a lot of instructions on how to set up this display in the Basic OSD Menu Levels and the Advanced OSD Menu Levels

You can download the HP Pavilion f1723 17 inch Flat Panel Monitor Manual from this site

click here&

ambra4 00:53 01 Sep 07

Also the Max Resolution: 1280 x 1024 / 60 Hz

And you can do a factory reset of the display

ambra4 01:05 01 Sep 07

Also did you get a CD with the display as one is required to install certain setting

You can download all the software plus the display driver from this site

click here

ambra4 01:33 01 Sep 07

Check if the OSD Lock is on

The OSD can be enabled or disabled by pressing
and holding the Menu button on the front panel for 10
seconds.

If the OSD is locked, the warning message “OSD
Lock” displays for five seconds.

If the OSD is locked, press and hold the Menu button for
10 seconds to unlock the OSD.

If the OSD is unlocked, press and hold the Menu button
for 10 seconds to lock the OSD

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5