Flashing icon on boot-up

CurlyWhirly 21:57 01 May 05

I am running Windows XP and for the FIRST time ever on boot-up, I had the usual BIOS beep and then when the screen came up with the text "Detecting IDE drives...", to my horror the screen went blank and all that was displayed was a flashing white icon in the top left corner of the blank screen.
I waited for around 3 minutes before I finally gave up and did a soft reset.

Second time round it worked perfectly.
Could this just be a one-off or is it the first sign that my hard drive is on the way out?
I do run a hard drive SMART utility and there is NOTHING wrong with it according to the Drive Health monitoring utility, so am I worrying about nothing then?

Anyone else ever had this problem and any idea what causes it?
Thanks.

Chegs ® 22:50 01 May 05

I guess it was just a minor glitch in the boot sequence during the "Detecting IDE drives..." as in the puter missed/misread the data and knew not what to do next.Its not neccessarily a developing fault,and until it developed to the point of being easily recreated,I wouldn't worry.

LastChip 22:53 01 May 05

If this happened whilst scanning the hard drives, it is likely to be something went wrong in the BIOS or maybe a file problem on the drive.

If your SMART utility is saying there is nothing wrong with the drive, I would tend to believe it, as SMART is generally reliable.

Try a scandisc on the drive. It might find a problem to rectify. Most commonly, the drive sector data map does not tally with the physical drive.

woodchip 22:57 01 May 05

Just posted your other thread in other Forum

CurlyWhirly 23:06 01 May 05

Thanks everyone, I will just carry on using my PC as normal and it if DOES again develop the same fault, I will run a hard drive diagnostic test as advised by woodchip.
Resolved (I hope), so I will tick now and again thanks for your advice folks ;0)

CurlyWhirly 11:17 02 May 05

Update:
I ran XP's Error-checking test and all was okay.
I also went into Safe Mode and ran the WD diagnostics test.
The Extended Test took over an hour to complete but passed, so it must have just been a one-off that blank screen.
All that worry for nothing!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac