Flashing Bios HELP NEEDED

tbh72 02:38 04 Feb 03

I had decided to flash my bios so I could unleash the full potential of my XP processor, but I am afraid I have stumbled at the first hurdle. I have a PCChips mobo and the code is:

62-0226-001131-00101111-071595-SiS730s-M810LR-h

I have been to the PCChips website & am totally confused by which updated file to use.

If there are any experts out there that would be kind enough to steer me to the right Bios Update I'll be all ready to rumble.

I am an absolute expert now and fully understand the procedure down to the very last detail, I am charged & ready to go.......

PS

I am prepared to take the risk, it's a cheap board, must remember to remove my expensive CPU & Ram first & replace with disposables!!!!

temp003 05:13 04 Feb 03

click here for Belarc Advisor which will tell you all the details of your system, including the motherboard. Most of the time, it's quite accurate, but use it as a guide only.

Other than that, here's what I can gather from the PCChips site.

Clarity of support information is not one of PCChips' strong points, not helped by the changes they have made recently to the naming of the models and BIOS structure.

The model name of your mobo was originally M810LR. L stood for Lan, R apparently stood for Ready (whatever that means, shouldn't they all be ready?). PCChips have changed the nomenclature, and now R stands for RAID. So M810LR is now called, on their website, just M810L.

The M810L v71c is a mobo with an onboard Duron processor. Since you have an Athlon XP, you can ignore that model on the website (C stands for mobo that comes with onboard CPU).

That leaves M810L, and M810L v7.x. Can't take it any further. I notice that on the first page of the downloaded manual, there's a copyright notice, which refers to the series of mobo, with a version number, e.g. M810 series, V7.1G 9which may be a more recent version). Look at your own manual and see if you've got something like that, V7.x. If so, your model may well be M810L v7.x. If not, it's just the M810L, but I really can't be sure.

What makes things worse is, together with renaming the models, the BIOS structure has also been changed, so that with some older existing BIOS, when you flash a new BIOS on certain boards, you may get an error 9 message, warning you that you've got the wrong BIOS flash, when it's actually correct. This does not appear to apply to the M810 series.

Look at their News section to read up on the model name changes, and BIOS structure changes.

So when you flash the BIOS, if you do get the error message, you had better stop, and try the other one.

Hope that helps.

DieSse 10:52 04 Feb 03

Just a comment - if you don't know which BIOS update to use, how are you certain that it's going to fix any issues you have.

BIOS updates are usually to fix problems, or allow new features. You clearly know the potential problems, even so, you don't do BIOS upgrades just because they're there - you do them to fix a specific issue - if you have that issue - fine - if you don't, then I still recommend you to stay clear.

tbh72 14:56 04 Feb 03

Thank's to some advice I have had success in flashing bios & my new processor runs a treat. I will post an idiots guide to bios flashing shortly

tbh72 17:53 04 Feb 03

Simple Step's

1. Make a bootable floppy disk, remove all files except io.sys, msdos.sys & command.com

2. Add your Flash Utility Program

3. Add you Bios Update Rom File

Restart your computer pressing the DELETE key so you can enter the BIOS SETUP. Goto the Advanced Cmos Setup screen & ensure the first boot device is set to the floppy disk drive. Press F10 to save and exit the Bios. Ensure the floppy disk is inserted into the drive.

The computer boots to drive a: Please follow steps 4,5,6 & 7 precicely.

4. At the A: Prompt type the following command, <Sub Correct File Names>

<FlashUtility.exe> <CurrentBios.rom> backup.rom

This removes the Bios from the chip to drive a:, renaming it as backup.rom

5. <FlashUtility.exe> <NewBios.rom>

Ensure you press ENTER to proceed when promted to do so.

6. Remove floppy disk & restart the computer, Press DELETE to enter the BIOS SETUP. Make the relevant changes according to your hardware. Press F10 to save the changes.

7. Let the computer boot up & enjoy your updated Bios & the benefit's of the support for your new hardware.

PS

I have a few words of warning, Firstly only flash your Bios if there is a need, ensure you have backed up your original Bios File <STEP4>. Only install the documented Bios.Rom file. One Last thing, this process has to be carried out in one process ensure your power supply will not be interupted, eg loose cables, insufficient credit or possible power cut times, storm's or workmen!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009