//some 3rd party need geo

Flashing the BIOS

skell 16:01 16 Jan 05

Hi,

Having been told that upgrading memory is simple i decided to buy and installed some new ram.

My existing amount is 512MB and want to upgrade to 1024Mb.

After installing the new ram the system boots up ok showing the correct amount but in system information it only shows 768MB. I have checked all the normal things like properly fitted, on its own etc, so im positive the new ram is ok and correct. I contacted the supplier cruicial and they told me i need to update my bios..eeeek . Doesnt sound simple to me. There nust be a simple reason why this has happend im not keen on having to update the bios.

can anyone help me with this plz.
Many thx

os XP Pro, MOBO GA-K8N-Pro, AMD64 3200, Radeon 9800Pro, Memory from cruicail 2x512MB 64m64 DDR 3200 1 single bank 1 double bank.

AndySD 16:27 16 Jan 05

Before you do that try going into the BIOS/SETUP (nornally Delete as the pc boots) and set "Reset Configuration data"(or clear NVRAM or Update ESCD)to enabled (it resets itself to disabled after you reboot which is what it should do)

961 16:29 16 Jan 05

From the Gigabyte site I can't see that there is a BIOS update that would affect memory. In any event unless there is a very good reason to flash the BIOS then leave well alone

I would go back to Crucial and have another go and if they cannot rectify the problem then I would ask for a refund under their excellent guarantee

The motherboard you have supports 3GB DDR400/333/266 184 pin

skell 16:45 16 Jan 05

I'll phone them again but there is nothing wrong with the memory it works perfectly ok on its own. The only other option i might try is ask to replace it for a 1gb single piece plus the difference. Im not sure though im at a loss at the moment ive tried everywhere for an answer.. for somethong so simple as replacing memory its becoming more of a hassle than its worth.

Diodorus Siculus 16:52 16 Jan 05

I had a similar problem on a GA 7DX mobo; it would only accept 512mb ram - Crucial suggested a BIOS flash but I had the latest revision. Both chips I had were from Crucial (256 and 512) and both were fine - only a max of 512 was recognised.

BIOS flashing is not a great problem nowadays; just follow the instructions from GigaByte.

absent 16:53 16 Jan 05

If you do decide to flash the bios use the Gigabyte @bios utility, look here to see how it works click here

skell 17:48 16 Jan 05

So Diodorus how did you solve the problem or have you just left it as it is?

If windows doesnt recognise it does that meen its only running at 768Mb.

The above site looks very helpfull but my system isnt that old so surley i should have the latest BIOS already. Il have to look and see.

Diodorus Siculus 19:39 16 Jan 05

skell - just stayed with 512mb and returned the 256 chip to Crucial who had sold it to me 2 months earlier.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…