flashing ADSL LIGHT, no stable connection

aws3725 20:40 05 Feb 06

I have recently bought tesco broadband which has been working fine. However I recently bought a D-Link wireless router/modem. I configured it on the computer, but the problem is that I cannot get a steady connection on the ASDL line.

The ADSL cable is connected one end to the router and one end to the filter, then theres the ethernet cable, and the power adapter. The ADSL light just flashes when all this is connected though, so the internet is always down. But when i connect my old broadband modem it works fine. So I know the line is fine. I just need to know whats going wrong and why I can't get a stable connection...

Does anyone know what I can do?

Any help would be much appreciated

Arthur Sewell

ade.h 22:39 05 Feb 06

I assume that you've triple checked your ISP settings in the router's config page? I know that it sounds a bit obvious, but it's worth being 100% certain that you have the right protocol and have type the username and password correctly. The light will flash during the connection process, which suggests that it's having a go at connecting but isn't getting anywhere.

The other possibility, which cannot be totally ruled out, is that the router is faulty. It can happen sometimes unfortunately.

Taff™ 23:38 05 Feb 06

Which D-Link Router?

aws3725 13:10 06 Feb 06

its a D-Link G624M

I think you must be right about that connection setting because i took the router back and swapped it. But I still have the same problem. I'm guessing its the connection settings.

ade.h 15:11 06 Feb 06

I always keep a written record of all login details for ISP login and email accounts, because whenever I come to re-enter them in a new mail client or a new router, etc. I have to refer to my records.

Ask you ISP - by phone - for your details and check them against what you have been entering.

Taff™ 23:02 06 Feb 06

This router click here ?

I would start with the link for the firmware update from December 2005 - worries me that such a new model needs one but hey ho! Then check with Tesco`s help for the settings.

aws3725 13:42 07 Feb 06

cheers , didn't have any luck, called out computer engineer who couldn't help either. So taken back. Going to start again... buy a netgear of web

Thanks for your help though

much appreciated

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced