Flash USB Memory question

wids001 14:34 24 Jul 07

I purchased a 4gb USB flash memory stick from PC world. After the system found the new hardware I went into My Computer and noticed 2 new drives, L & M, both relating to the memory stick. Drive L showed it to be a FAT drive with just 1.98mb of space. However, drive M showed it as a FAT32 drive but with the 4gb of space.

Can anyone tell me if this is an error with the stick or is this okay. I have transferred around 2gb of data using this with no problem at all.

thanks

LAP 17:04 24 Jul 07

wids001 I think you are confusing yourself 1.98mb is a fraction larger than one of those 'old floppies'

2gb = 2000mb

perhaps the 1.98mb is something that is retained on the stick. Maybe some else can help I only have a 256mb stick myself.

Andy1991 17:34 24 Jul 07

It may be the same as mine, mine a 2GB at the mo, 1 is a bit which contains a bit called u3, a kind of add in for u flash to be able to carry protable software, the U3 system files are stored on a small partition of the flash drive, and the bigger full partition is where u keep all ur files and some portable software run by the U3. U may have a simaler thing, not maybe U3, but something else, i also run portable apps but i know that only runs on one partition, the same one as where i keep my files.

LAP 17:40 24 Jul 07

wids001 having read your thread again, I think I am the one confused. I'm sorry.

macbookboy 14:57 04 Sep 07

The question is though what is the second partition(the smaller one for) it may be, as andy suggests that it is a plug and play feature. What make of drive are you using?

I am Spartacus 15:03 04 Sep 07

There's probably some security software/password management on it. My wife bought one recently and had to get in touch with the manufacturer to get rid of it as our work PCs don't allow software installation.

What make is it? I unfortunately deleted the email that had the removal instructions in it but the name may jog my memory.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…