Flash Player

Ancient Learner 14:28 11 May 06

In this months Windows update there is an item regarding Flash Player. The update wouldn't install!

Every time I come across a site that needs this, I have fun having to install it, notwithstanding that I have never uninstalled it - the result being that I have a long list of versions that I have downloaded and installed at various times, all 'saved'.

So I looked around and and find that a) it is not shown in the 'Add and Remove programmes' and b) it is not shown anywhere in the 'Search' other than where I store downloaded stuff.

It seems to follow from this that it is not installed anywhere, which explains why the update failed.

So I would like to start again with this if I can.

Can someone say what is the latest version, ( I thought that it was 8.0.24, but a site I have just seen says it is 8.0.22 click here) and where is the best place to download it from please.

Any other advise would be gratefully received, for I clearly haven't got it right in the past.

SANTOS7 14:34 11 May 06

click here

beynac 14:34 11 May 06

8.0.24 is the latest version. For info on the problem with Windows Update click here

VoG II 14:34 11 May 06

Re Windows Update click here

beynac 14:46 11 May 06

If you use both Firefox and IE then you have to update using both browsers. The Flash Player for IE is an ActiveX control whilst that for Firefox is a plug-in.

Ancient Learner 20:01 11 May 06

I think that I am going slowly mad. I am now trying to install the Flash Player. folowing both SANTOS7 link and the also the one I gave above. Neither do anything, although in the former case the page does say that it is installed when I do it through IE, however I can find no sign of it in either Search or Add and Remove. With Opera, nothing at all happens.

Of course the New Windows update doesn't.

It's good to see that I appear to be not on my own.

Now what does anyone suggest that I do?

skidzy 20:44 11 May 06

Try from here A.L. click here

Good luck

Ancient Learner 21:47 11 May 06

Thank you. That has worked OK. The install file doesn't look like the others, as it mentions activeX. At least now I can see Flash Player on the Add and Remove List./

However, the Windows update won't work! So it looks like I will have to put up with reminders until Microsoft sort it out.

Thanks to all for the comments and proffered help.

skidzy 23:18 11 May 06

click here

Try this and let us know how you get on A.L.

Good luck.

Stuartli 23:46 11 May 06

The update, if I have read it correctly, only affects earlier versions of the Flash Player.

skidzy 06:58 12 May 06

Stu

I may be wrong with the update,but as it says reviewed on the 2nd of May 06 and Microsoft says no updates for earlier versions for IE are availble yet but may release updates in the future.

Of course i may be misunderstanding this also and stand to be corrected.Cheers for pointing this out Stu...lets hope it works for Ancient Learner.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…