fixmbr and fixboot on a netbook

dms_05 10:33 25 Jan 11

I need to run fixmbr and maybe fixboot on a Netbook which has no optical drive.

Can I run these from RUN>CMD whilst in XP or do I need to boot via a CD (as recommended) before running the commands.

If I need to run from the the CD is it possible to run the recovery console from a USB Memory stick or will I need an external USB CD/DVD drive?

michaelw 12:50 25 Jan 11

You can only do it from the command prompt on the cd's recovery consul click here

GaT7 13:02 25 Jan 11

michaelw, dms_05 has no optical drive.

dms_05, if you can run them whilst in XP, why would you need to run them at all? Unless you had Linux dual-booting with XP, & want to get rid of the Linux boot menu.

Yes, you can run those commands via a Recovery Console using a bootable USB flash drive - click here for instructions. G

dms_05 14:22 25 Jan 11

Crossbow7 - spot on. I want to return the HDD to it's original state so need to remove GRUB. Normally it's easily done with fixmbr/fixboot but that needs an optical drive. I will try the bootable USB method in the link. Thanks for your help.

In previous releases of Kubuntu they included a utility to rewrite the mbr but that seems to have disappeared in v10.10.

I had wondered about using fdisk/mbr from within Kubuntu but I think I'd prefer the XP method.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…