fixed warning

spec 12:20 13 Aug 08

Yesterday I inadvertently opened a greeting card. The result was I now have a permanent warning on my desktop telling me to install an anti-virus prog because of malware! I just can't seem to get rid of it with the progs I have and having just formatted I can't seem to be able 'restore' to an earlier date! I'm using Wxp by the way. Any help appreciated as it's really irritating.

Thanks

iqs 12:43 13 Aug 08

You could check the Start menu,just in case its listed,and check task manager,see if you can identify the process causing the message.

Sometime ago a friend had similar,I checked the above,then ran Ad-aware,Spybot,AVG Free and A-Squared ,none worked.Had to use Safe Mode

If System Restore is not working,what about Last Known Good Configuration ?,or access System Restore from Safe Mode... click here

Hope it help

Jak_1 12:44 13 Aug 08

Try this:
Right click on the warning to see if it will give you the file location on your hdd. If it does, make a note of it and then re-boot in safe mode. Navigate to the file and delete and then empty the recycle bin. If this works, re-boot in normal and hopefuly all should be well. If it is, create a restore point.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:50 13 Aug 08

What is it? XP antivirus 2008 /2009, Power antivirus?

spec 13:09 13 Aug 08

I believe it is Wxp 2008 Bat, I did find it in prog folder and deleted it but that didn't get rid of the fixed warning.
I looked in the desktop folder and it isn't registered there and 'right clicking' it reveals nothing I'm afraid Jak. Will try your restore iqs, these things need to be simple for me :)

thanks one and all

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:17 13 Aug 08

click here

This?

spec 13:58 13 Aug 08

yes that looks like it Bat, I will follow their instr on how to get rid of it, thanks

woodchip 14:08 13 Aug 08

Is it in MSCONFIG?????

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced