Fixed font size

carrotmuseum 10:02 20 Jun 06

On my main front page I want everyone to see it as I do. How can I force the text size to be consistent?

click here

e.g In IE6 if you go to view-text size- larger, then the text inside the tables increases.

John

barryoneoff.co.uk 11:58 20 Jun 06

that's what it's there for. Not everyone's eyes are perfect, so they alter the text size in their browser. Everyone does it.

The only way to stop it is to make an image of the text and use that.

PurplePenny 21:50 20 Jun 06

As Barry says, the user is *supposed* to be able to resize the font. Accessibility guidelines say that text must be resizable.

ade.h 22:16 20 Jun 06

Wonderful site, by the way. I never knew that carrots had such a following!

carrotmuseum 22:24 20 Jun 06

Ok thanks folks I get the picture - just thought there was some fancy java script that would do it!

PurplePenny 00:10 22 Jun 06

I want a purple carrot :-)

carrotmuseum 08:31 22 Jun 06

Ok PurplePenny seeds available lots o places, see the web site. Photos there too!

webdesignkid 13:37 24 Jun 06

Yes, there is some JavaScript that can do this, but it would help if your layout wass built using CSS. If it was done like this then you can have three stlyesheets e.g
smallfont.css
normal.css
bigfont.css
You then make the font different in all three and use JavaScript to select the stylesheet by a dropdown menus e.g
Choose a Font Size
Normal (Current)
Big
Small
I saw this in a web design magazine the other day. If you then need help with the JavaScript and CSS I would be happy to help, but no make it!

carrotmuseum 14:04 24 Jun 06

Thanks for the tips, I am realtively new to CSS or Javascript so any help would be appreciated.

What I find strange is that bbc news page, does not alter, no matter what font size you choose - so there must be a way.

PurplePenny 14:45 24 Jun 06

"What I find strange is that bbc news page, does not alter, no matter what font size you choose - so there must be a way."

BBC News may appear to do it but the point is that they *shouldn't*.

In fact what has happened with BBCNews is that they have used a fixed font size and IE doesn't resize those in its default setting. Firefox and Opera will resize the BBCNews pages (I've just tried it) and I believe that IE 7 will also.

You can override IE's default settings to allow font resizing: it is one of IE's accessibility options.

Writing different stylesheets and putting in a JavaScript widget for text resizing is frowned on by members of the accessibility community; I don't entirely agree with them but I can see their point: they say that we shouldn't be putting in widgets for users to change the settings as those functions already exist within the browser.

Anyway the main point is that current accessibility guidelines state that fonts should not be fixed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…