Fixboot & Fixmbr

Condom 00:20 06 Dec 08

A neighbour asked me to try and sort their kids PC which was in a real mess and took 1 hour to start up and then basically didn't work any faster. It had XP home edition and everything else DELL installed and god knows what else. I managed to format the hard drive and get rid of a 30MB hidden partition joining it on to C drive using Partition Manager.

I've installed XP Pro and the PC is fairly whizzzing along but I have a problem I can't seem to resolve.

On start up it is giving me 3 choices to boot and I choose normal which then takes me into either chosing XP Home (which is no longer there) or XP Pro. After that everything is OK.

I have tried running FIXMBR after a repair install but it is not making any difference.

Does anyone know of any other ways to get rid of these boot up problems as apart from these I seem to have got rid of every other problem?

PoppABear 00:41 06 Dec 08

modify boot ini
click here

Terry Brown 09:40 06 Dec 08

Go to RUN and type in 'msconfig', select 'boot.ini', select 'check all boot paths'. This should cure the problem.
If necessary make a backup of boot.ini then edit out the excess lines.
Terry

Condom 13:14 06 Dec 08

Thanks. I tried the "How to edit the boot.ini file in Windows XP andgot to the Sample boot.ini bit and saw that the lines were showing as per my problem except that the sample showed win 2000 as the second where mine was XP Home.

Anyway my skills with DOS have long been forgotten and I struggled to edit using DOS commands. I do remember in DOS days being able to delete a line by inserting something at the beginning of the line but couldn't remember what it was

I went back to the boot ini and thought I would try deleting the offending line by just back spacing and then file/save and lo and behold everything was hunky dory.

Problem solved and the PC is like greased lightning. So thanks for pointing me in the right direction as this FIXMBR just didn't want to know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac