"Fix" for USB Device when it stops working....

Jester2K 13:25 04 Mar 04

Bizarre but it works....

I have a Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro 2 joystick (USB)

From time to time it stops being recognised by Windows when its plugged in.

The reason for this is (apparently) Static Electricty! The joystick has a metal base.

The "cure" is to switch the PC off and then insert and remove the USB plug 5 or 6 times. Switch on the PC and plug in. Joystick recognised.

Worked 3 times in the last 18 months now...

Sir Radfordin 14:09 04 Mar 04

Static buildup is something that is mentioned in a few troubleshooting guides for other USB devices - HP printers being one.

Jester2K 14:12 04 Mar 04

Ah - i'd never seen it mentioned before until i saw it a few months ago on a site where someone had the same problem i did.

manicGPz 20:53 04 Mar 04

sorry to post on an old thread, but do you think that this could be happening to my Logitech Extreme 3d pro, when I am in the middle of a game that needs a move or turn to the right, the stick does not seem to work as well as to the left....on checking for calibration the cross does not move all the way to the right until i unplug the stick from the USB port, and plug it in again...
This can happen numerous times in a game, tried uninstalling/reinstalling, but still having problems, any advice?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…