Fix Master Boot Record

Graham ® 09:23 16 Feb 06

I have used Acronis Disk Director Suite to create a dual boot set-up. Now I wish to revert to just XP.

I have recovered the partition the 2nd system was on, and now have to amend the Master Boot Record back to the original.

There are no System Restore points available.

The Command fdisk or fdisk /mbr does not work!

Any pointers, please?

Eric10 09:32 16 Feb 06

Start/Run/Msconfig and click the 'Check All Boot Paths' button on the BOOT.INI tab.

Graham ® 09:36 16 Feb 06

Thanks, it reports all OK. Any of the other options in there that may do the trick?

vinnyT 10:11 16 Feb 06

I think, but am not sure, that to fix the mbr under xp you have to boot using the xp cd, select 'r' for the recovery console, then select your windows XP installation from the list, enter the admin password.

At the command prompt type FIXMBR, Y into the next input box.

Hope this helps.

Graham ® 10:16 16 Feb 06

Thanks, I don't have an XP CD, just HP recovery disks (5!). I may have to go that route if an easier option isn't available.

Eric10 10:56 16 Feb 06

I've never used Acronis Disk Director Suite so I may be on the wrong thing here but if you are just trying to get rid of the Windows menu at startup which gives a choice of operating systems then look in the Properties of My Computer. On the Advanced tab under Startup and Recovery, Settings, you can set the default operating system to boot from in the drop-down list at the top. Once you are sure that the default option is the one you want you can prevent the menu from being displayed at all by unticking the 'Time to display list of operating systems' option.

Graham ® 12:35 16 Feb 06

Thanks all, I finished up using Command 'boot.ini' to make the change.

Please do not try this at home! You may make the PC unbootable!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…