Fitting sound this right?

edenworkshops 14:32 PM 09 Sep 12

It has been determined that the sound card which is built into the mother board has died and I need to fit a sound card.

My PC is about three years old, Ime not sure what type of sound card I need to get to fit the sockets in my mother board, I know the name PCI sound card from somewhere??

I understand I have to go into the bios and deselect the on board sound card, I think I can do that.

Then I understand that the PC will automaticaly find the new sound card when it reboots.

A few pointers would be welcome. I dont need a fancy audio sound card, something basic will sound great after the distorted sound I have been putting up with.

Thank you

lotvic 15:05 PM 09 Sep 12

If you post your motherboard model number, suggestions can then be made.

The number should be printed on the board somewhere. It will look something like: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3

Or if you have SIW or similar system information program you can look in there for the mobo model.

edenworkshops 15:19 PM 09 Sep 12

This is what SIW tells me:

Property Value Manufacturer ASUSTek Computer Inc. Model P4P800-MX Version Rev 1.xx Serial Number MB-1234567890

Hows that?

wee eddie 15:34 PM 09 Sep 12

I am now running with USB Sound. Just plug it into a spare USB Port and plug your Speakers or Mike in.

Can be had for less than a Tenner (£10.00) on eBay.

lotvic 18:11 PM 09 Sep 12

If this is it:

It has 3 ordinary PCI Expansion Slots (the long white slots) so any ordinary PCI sound card will fit.

edenworkshops 09:26 AM 10 Sep 12

Thank you for your suggestions.

So USB or a sound card.

lotvic 13:05 PM 10 Sep 12

My link to picture and specs above didn't work so here it is again ClickHere It is the pca formatting that turns any text between two _'s into italics...

wee eddie 13:25 PM 10 Sep 12

Amazon's stuff

USB is so cheap and you do not need to open the Case. Buy one and if you don't like it, bin it and get a card

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This 4K screen is purpose-built for showcasing digital art

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know