Fitting NVSilencer to G6800 pins dont fit

AllThumbs 13:23 23 Feb 06

Hi again,
I'm in the middle of fitting an Arctic Cooler NV Silencer 5 (rev.3) to a Gigabyte Geforce 6800 GT card.

I was doing quite well but have just found that the card has a 3 pin slot for the power connector from the cooler (to drive it's fan presumably). Unfortunately the cooler has two connectors, neither of which fit! One is a 2 pin connector that is two deep to fit in. The other is a 4 pin connector that is to wide to fit in. Bearing in mind that this card alledges itself to be compatible with my card, what on earth do I do?

The only thing I can think of is to cut down the plastic excess on the 4 pin connector. Only two wires go into it so in theory the other two pins are wasted space. If I very carefully cut away the space held by the 4th pin would this work?

I've sent a querey to Arctic's support line, but as I'm half way through the install I don't know how long I've got before the thermal pads and pastes dry out.

keef66 15:40 23 Feb 06

"We use ATIs respectively NVIDIAs standard power plugs. Asus is unfortunately not following ATIs/NVIDIAs solutions and therefore our plug doesn't fit. You can either cut both plugs and connect the wires correspondingly or you can also get 12 Volt power directly from the PSU. There you have to connect the wires as follows: black with black and red (VGA) with yellow (PSU). The yellow cable from the VGA is an RPM signal, that is not needed."

I'd chop the connectors off leaving plenty of wire to play with on the one you need to use, hen carefully solder the wires.

(I posted this once but it disappeared!!)

keef66 15:51 23 Feb 06

...then carefully solder..., not hen.
Perhaps I have avian flu.

AllThumbs 18:20 23 Feb 06

Sir - you're a gem.

I couldn't find anything on the Arctic site - nice to know the situation.

Unfortunately I lack a soldering iron, or steady enough hands to use one. So I did something much more unwise and resculpted the plug with a scalpel to fit the connector. (Don't try this at home kids).

Anyhow it seems to work. Will know more in a few days I guess.

ulrich 20:48 23 Feb 06

You can take the wires out and swap them, the plugs, make sure you get the colours right, I used a large pin to disconnect the wires from inside the plugs.

AllThumbs 22:29 23 Feb 06

I tried that with the scalpel (practicing on the cooler I'd removed first) unfortunately my practice run failed so badly (wire snapped) that I was quite put off trying it on the main cooler.

As I said, I'm afraid my hands are less than steady - maybe the DIY approach was equally unwise.

I'll tick this and if it blows up.....I'll be back.

(Hopefully)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017