fitting new motherboard

chippy+ 20:29 06 Dec 07

Hi one of my older pc,s is fitted with an asrock K7S41GX motherboard and a sempron 2.200 socket A processor some the motherboard's capacitors are ready to blow, I managed to get a new K7S41GX for £19.00 and am going to replace it the question is I have seen a new sempron 2.600 for £15 which the motherboard supports would it be worthwhile fitting this while the board is getting changed instead of taking the old processor out thanks Chippy

Totally-braindead 21:23 06 Dec 07

Its not much of an increase. Its up to you but in my opinion theres no way you would notice the difference between the two. It would be fractions of a second faster.

chippy+ 22:07 06 Dec 07

hi Totally-braindead i have not used a previously used a processor the processor on the old motherboard is 3 years old would i still get much the same perfomance as i had before thanks Chippy

chippy+ 22:07 06 Dec 07

hi Totally-braindead i have not used a previously used a processor the processor on the old motherboard is 3 years old would i still get much the same perfomance as i had before thanks Chippy

Totally-braindead 13:30 07 Dec 07

The processor doesn't really degrade and work less well with time if that is what you mean. It will work as well as it did when it was first produced. Only thing to watch for with second hand processors is that the pins aren't bent. They are very brittle and if you bend the pins and then try to move it back quite often it will snap off.
A processor either works or doesn't work theres no moving parts to wear out and make it work more poorly.
And do make sure if you do this that you clean off ALL the thermal paste and renew it. If theres even a tiny bit left it can create hot spots and blow or damage the processor.

Totally-braindead 13:32 07 Dec 07

Oh just thought of something, I would check that the board supports this upgraded processor, it really should as its just a little bit faster but its best to check.
You'll find the supported processors on the AsRock website.

chippy+ 13:42 07 Dec 07

Hi Totally-braindead
thanks again i will have to make a choice as there is only 1 of these processors at the price Chippy

skidzy 16:14 07 Dec 07

Your mobo will take the Sempron 2600,no problem click here

chippy+ 21:29 07 Dec 07

Hi skidzy sorry about the delay thanks for the information Chippy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5