Fitting New Heatsink & Fan

The Brigadier 11:36 09 Oct 07

How easy is it to fit a new Heatsink & Fan in my computer?
What do i need to do the job?

Totally-braindead 11:45 09 Oct 07

I presume you mean a CPU heatsink and fan. Its easy enough, you have to remove all the old thermal paste and renew it.
The worst bit as far as I am concerned is getting the clip off, they are very tight, you have to prise them off with a flat head screwdriver and you have to be very careful you don't slip. If you did slip you could easily damage the motherboard.
Thats the only thing that concerns me. All you need is thermal paste (unless the new heatsink has it already mounted) and a slot headed screwdriver, and something to clean the old thermal paste off.
You should be able to find a video guide online if you wish.

johndrew 11:52 09 Oct 07

I went through this recently and found a lot of help within these sites click here

My CPU is an Athlon and this was excellent I thought click here

Hope it helps.

Press Man 11:53 09 Oct 07

Which type of processor Intel/AMD & socket type. What motherboard do you have, which type of heatsink & fan are you going to buy? Generally instructions can be found at the supplier of the heatsink & fan? Information can also be found at the motherboard manufacturer and at the processor manufacturer as to what type of heatsink & fan can be used.

wee eddie 12:34 09 Oct 07

I have been told that a little Acetone (Nail Varnish Remover) on some cotton wool is best for removing the old Thermal paste from the CPU.

Strawballs 12:49 09 Oct 07

Check the nail varnish remover because a lot more are acetone free.

Totally-braindead 13:02 09 Oct 07

It is very important to get old the thermal paste off, I scrape the worst of it off with a blunt plastic card or whatever (something that doesn't scratch the surfaces of the CPU and the heatsink and then use acetone to get the rest of it off.

Don't scratch the surfaces of the heatsink and CPU getting the old stuff off, do renew the thermal paste and do make sure that the heatsink is placed properly before clamping it in place.
As I said I've found all of this fairly easy, the only real problem I've ever had is getting the clamp off without the screwdriver sliding out of the groove and gouging a hole in something.

If you don't get all the old thermal paste off you risk hot spots. Bits that get too hot and this can cause the PC to shutdown all the time or it could cause the CPU to blow. I've never had a problem and have done this perhaps something like 50 or 60 times over the years.
The only time I ever saw a CPU blow was a friend of mine was replacing his heatsink and fan on the CPU and had the old one off and leaned over the front of the case and he touched the switch, PC fired up and because there was no heatsink and fan on the processor it blew in a fraction of a second. Thing is when he started doing this I told him he hadn't disconnected the power and that this could happen. He said that he'd done this dozens of times and nothing would go wrong.
Felt like saying I told you so when it happened but didn't as he was already out of pocket to the tune of another processor. Also never said anything as he was a bit bigger than me and I thought he might give me a smack in the teeth as he was so annoyed at what had happened.
So before you start do pull the plug.
Did serve him right though.

amonra 13:27 09 Oct 07

Before you press down on the clips when you re-fit the heatsink, put an old credit card or similar under the place where you are working, just in case your hand slips and tries to gouge a chunk out of the M/B.
Been there, done that, got a new M/B to prove it !

Probabilitydrive 13:42 09 Oct 07

I have recently replaced 2 heat sinks (Intel based).

I used and anti-static mat and wrist-band (static discharge will kill sensitive parts of your mobo/ram...)

The heat sinks came away easily (Be very careful with any screwdriver...)

I removed the hardened Thermal paste with a credit card and with Arctic silver thermal pasee remover + purifier

Applied thermal paste, installed the heat sink and....it shut down on me!!

It is of utmost importance to get the thermal paste amount fight. (which I didn't the first time round)

A few links:

click here (CPU install and heat sink)
click here (applying thermal paste)
click here (installing AMD processor and heat sink)
click here (thermal paste application)
click here (installing a CPU)

Probabilitydrive 13:43 09 Oct 07

pasee = paste
fight = right

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017