Fitting a new hdd.

Daiol 13:20 13 Jul 10

Hi,I,m thinking of installing a second hdd fpr backup purposes etc,Now I think the one I have installed is a sata drive as you can see by the image provided there are yellow cables coming from the mother board to the existing hdd and of course the power cable there is a socket on the mother board for another yellow cable and there is a spare power cable hanging loose inside.And do i get the new yellow cable supplied with the new drive?.
Now if i get another hdd is it going to very complicated to wire up and install or is it as easy as an ide one what about settings to slave etc?
Thanks for help.
[IMG]click here[/IMG]

vinnyT 13:32 13 Jul 10

And do i get the new yellow cable supplied with the new drive?. No, sata cables are usually supplied with the mobo, if you weren't' given these by your pc builder you will have to buy one (pcworld, online shops, etc.)

is it going to very complicated to wire up and install or is it as easy as an ide one what about settings to slave etc? It's easier the ide, there are no setting on the hdd to configure.

Hope this helps.

Daiol 13:42 13 Jul 10

So when I do get to buy a sata drive i must buy a yellow cable do go with it,And this new hdd will be a second one not the main C Drive.
Thanks vinnyT for reply,I do hope that i did explain myself cleary in my post.
Tanx.d.

Chris_Byers 13:45 13 Jul 10

Yes, you have a SATA drive currently fitted to your PC. Adding a second drive is usually a doddle.
If you order your new drive online ensure you order a new SATA cable with it as well. These cost less than a pund, so it won't break the bank. When you fit the new drive just ensure your PC is powered down first (obvious, but there are some people out there.......).
Fit it in a spare drive bay, connect the cables (SATA and power)and ensure you take note of the SATA socket number because on some motherboards you will have to go into the BIOS and enable the port, or else you won't be able to see the new drive. Once you switch your PC back on you may have to go into disk management to 'initialise' the new disk and format\partition it. After that it should be available. It should take no more than 10 mins to do.

Daiol 14:23 13 Jul 10

Chris_Byers,Thanks for reply would it be possible for you to elaborate
'SATA socket number because on some motherboards you will have to go into the BIOS and enable the port, or else you won't be able to see the new drive.'& ' may have to go into disk management to 'initialise' the new disk and format\partition it. After that it should be available.'
Taht make me think about the job at hand.??.
Ta.

Zeppelyn 15:36 13 Jul 10

Looking at the pic you already have at least one other SATA data cables in there (red one). Is this going to CD/DVD or is it spare? They are sometimes red or orange as well as yellow.

Daiol 16:40 13 Jul 10

Zeppelyn.
Yea That cable belonged to one of the dvd/cd drive it came off while i was photographing.Thanks.

The Kestrel 16:51 13 Jul 10

This video may help you click here

Daiol 17:03 13 Jul 10

Thanks all I think i got it looks straight forward now.
Can I be very cheeky and pop another question your way,Maybe I should have started another thread.
Well I'll take a chance,All of a sudden my OE6 will not print out my emails when i open up an email and select print thats all I get is the top heading where it came from and to whome then email contents aint there the page is blank.
Sorry to be cheeky.

Matt Egan 11:06 09 Sep 10

...in the current issue of PC Advisor. You can read it here:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017