fitting new DVD rom

dickandjill 20:01 05 Mar 06

I wish to fit a DVDROM to my PC which already has a CDRW drive fitted.The Ide cable comes from the Ide1 socket on the motherboard and goes via the Hard drive to the CDRW which is at the end of the cale(HDD being in the middle)The CDRW is set to slave.Can a DVD Rom be connected via another Ide cable straight to the Ide2 socket and be set to Master?Thus leaving the original Ide cable/CDRW and HD untouched.
Or should the two disc drives be on the same Ide cable and be connected to Ide2 socket.With CDRW as master on the end of the cable and the DVDROM in the middle of the cable and set to slave.Thus leaving the HD on its own cable and connected to Ide1 socket.
When this is all connected dod I just turn on the PC and it will find the new drives without me doing anything else?
Thanks
Richard(a novice!)

ed-0 20:39 05 Mar 06

" Can a DVD Rom be connected via another Ide cable straight to the Ide2 socket and be set to Master?"

Yes.

"Or should the two disc drives be on the same Ide cable and be connected to Ide2 socket.With CDRW as master on the end of the cable and the DVDROM in the middle of the cable and set to slave.Thus leaving the HD on its own cable and connected to Ide1 socket."

You can also use that configuration if you wish.

"When this is all connected dod I just turn on the PC and it will find the new drives without me doing anything else?"

If the bios is set to auto, then yes. Don't forget to install the dvd software you get with the drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now