fitting my own os

staaker 18:22 06 Sep 04

I am running a factory set operating system on my machine (windows xp home) and i want to install my own edition of xp can anyone advise me on formatting the drive and installing the new xp?....thanks

johnsims 18:27 06 Sep 04

If you boot from your own XP CD you should get an option to allow you to format the C: drive and then do a clean install. Another option if you have Partition Magic would be t format from within PM then reboot with the XP CD in the drive. You may need to set the bios to allow boot from CD.

Diodorus Siculus 18:28 06 Sep 04

1 - get info about all your components: mobo, audio, video, modem, etc. Get the relevant drivers and burn to CD / removable storage.

2 - backup everything that you may need (address book, bookmarks etc are frequently forgotten about, as indeed are custom dictionaries and auto correct lists).

3 - ensure that PC is set to boot from CD.

4 - boot with CD and format the disk; install the os; XP installs easily and is pretty well supported.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…