fitting an internal floppy drive

jarani 11:11 25 Mar 05

i have medion md 8383 xl pc - this came without a floppy drive but has a bay for it - i bought a sony internal drive without instructions or cable which i bought seperately - i fitted the drive and connected the cable and the power supply - result so far -- the indicator light on the drive stays on all the time but the computer ignores the drive completely - dose it need something else ? help please ! jarani

Yoda Knight 11:14 25 Mar 05

check that the ribbon cable is the rightway round (the red line faces the power cable on the drive and pin 0 on the m/b). Enable floppy drive in the bios

SANTOS7 11:15 25 Mar 05

Is it the right cable,is it plugged in right way round
click here

BRYNIT 11:19 25 Mar 05

You will need to go into bios to switch drive A drive on.

jarani 11:40 25 Mar 05

i omitted to say that the cable i obtained is tha belkin 34 pin round cable which has no colours except that the coloured wires are visible as they enter the pin - if i reverse the cable entry the light goes out and stays out - still no recognition - thank you for your response so far - i wil try the bios approach next - i am running winxp home - also, i have previously installed an external usb floppy drive ( A ) which works perfectly, but would like to go internal - should i disconnect this first or can i instal the second ( internal ) drive ( B ) ? - regards - jarani

Yoda Knight 11:44 25 Mar 05

not sure.... disconnect it first to eliminate the chance of it causing a problem for now, you can always plug it back in later.

In the bios, enable check for floppy at boot aswell as enabling it

BRYNIT 11:49 25 Mar 05

Disconnect Usb floppy first.

When booting F1 or delete key should get you into bios. Go to standard Cmos features, go down to Drive A and use the page up/down keys to sellect the correct setting. Press esc0 go to save and exit setup sellect yes, computer should reboot. If you have connected drive correctly you may get in windows a message found new hardwear.

spuds 12:16 25 Mar 05

You might get some help via click here click here

jarani 17:11 25 Mar 05

most greatfull for all your help - the round cable was wrongly fitted - i followed your advice to have the red wires next to the power cable and it worked - next i had to go into bios and enable drive A - it now works like a dream - what a great bunch of guys you are - thank you - kind regards - jarani

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…