Fitting Fire Wire Card (IEEE 1394)

linbrad65 18:43 03 Mar 05

I have just purchased a new DV Camcorder and the only method of transferring data is via firewire cable, however my 2 year old PC does not have firewire card. I am running Windows XP on a Time Computer KM266 (MSI) MS-3690 model. This has a Microstar MS-6390 Motherboard with AMD Athlon XP 2000 CPU. I am by no means a computer expert, although I have added an Internal Hard drive, DVD Re-writer and memory modules myself and would like to give this a try, I would just like a little reassurance from someone of experience. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Happy Soul 19:10 03 Mar 05

Hopefully you have a free PCI slot available, whwn you take the side off you will see some long white sockets towards the rear.

If there is, carefully remove the blanking plate opposite the slot where you are to fit your firewire card.

Carfully offer up the card and push down gently. Sometimes a little rocking motion side to side, longways, is needed.

You should have a screw supplied with the card or if the blanking plate is not 'tagged' to the chassis, you will have one from there.

Insert the screen. Replace side. Reconnect.

Happy Soul 19:11 03 Mar 05

Insert the SCREW not screen. Typo.

961 19:39 03 Mar 05

If you have fitted memory modules then this is no more difficult

Novatech can do firewire cards for around £20

Happy Soul tells you how to do it, just remember to take care re static electricity. If you don't have a wrist strap to earth yourself then buy one at the same time

john-232317 19:48 03 Mar 05

Help here click here

linbrad65 20:49 03 Mar 05

Thanks to everyone for such quick response. Just 1 question, will I need to up grade the Bios?

Robin0759 01:15 04 Mar 05

You will need to check that your motherboard supports firewire. If it doesn't, then you will need to flash the bios

byfordr 08:56 04 Mar 05

click here

Recommend the 3 firewire 2 usb2 pci.

Open use case
Push card into free pci slot
Install any drivers from cd
Away you go

10-15 minute job if that

TomJerry 09:24 04 Mar 05

if it has a PCI slot, it will support any PCI card, no matter what card it is, firewire, usb, TV, modem etc etc

kpr 11:08 04 Mar 05

After installing if your PC reboots when you try to shut it down then post here again as I had this problem and had to make a small change in BIOS. I spent months trying to figure out why my pc would not shutdown - it just kept rebooting but has been ok now for 12 months.

Sealer 13:16 04 Mar 05

Hi I had the problem.
click here.
Hope you can help. linbrad65 sorry for borowing your thread.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…