Fitting an external cdrom drive

Old Town Steve 08:04 01 Jun 05

My Cd/DVD rom combi drive seems to have given up the ghost. I've been having problems with discs not starting on insert, but could do manually. Now the computer doesn't seem to recognise there is a disc at all. My problem is that i need to install some software from disc. I'm not too confident on fixing a new one inside, so wondered if it is possible to just attatch an external one via USB port(I'm presuming you can buy such a thing) If I can do that would that be OK to use to install software, which is all I really need the drive for. Any help much appreiciated.

dan11 08:16 01 Jun 05

Yes they just plug into the usb port.

An internal cdrom is cheaper and is very easy to fit. It just reqires taking 4 screws out and changing 2 or at the most 3 plug inleads.

Derek 08:17 01 Jun 05

It's so easy to fit a replacement CD unit. You must try it because this is the easiest upgrade you can tackle.
This is what to do;
Switch off the PC.
Take off both sides off the cabinet.
Carefully pull out the cable plugs, three of them from the back of the offending CD drive.
Note the way they fit but usually you can't get them mixed up.
Undo two small screws on each side of the CD unit and slide it out from the front.
Slip the other in and re-connect the cables and put the sides back on.
There we are...all done.

Usually, you have full instructions with a new CD unit.

dan11 08:29 01 Jun 05

Derek, has said it all.;-) 5 minutes should do an internal drive.

BRYNIT 09:04 01 Jun 05

Instructions on how to install a CD/DVD drive click here

DieSse 09:59 01 Jun 05

Don't just switch off the system - switch off at the mains too (either at the mains plug, or on the switch at the rear of the power supply, if there isone) - this is MOST important. Unless you do this there is still power to the motherboard and other components inside. It's not dangerous to you - but it can damage components if you work inside with the power still on.

Old Town Steve 13:16 01 Jun 05

Many thanks all for your help. I think I may attempt to fix an internal drive, as it doesn't look too complicated! One question do i need to unistall my old drive from device manager before I take out the old one?

DieSse 13:53 01 Jun 05

"do i need to unistall my old drive from device manager before I take out the old one"

No

Old Town Steve 13:54 02 Jun 05

I'm going to take the plunge this weekend, and I'm looking to buy a nice cheap internal drive from PC world, but I can only see this product in grey, and my tower is black, so would have liked matching colour. Question is would I be able to fit the Bezle (I think that's what you call the front) from my old knakered CD Drive, and fit it to the new one?

DieSse 17:05 02 Jun 05

"Question is would I be able to fit the Bezle (I think that's what you call the front) from my old knakered CD Drive, and fit it to the new one?"

Very unlikely - the fitting lugs for the bezel and the tray front are not standardised. But do look around, you can find black ones for sale, usually the same or just a tad higher price.

DieSse 17:07 02 Jun 05

PS - before you fit it in the case, look on the rear at the small black jumper. There are positions for master/slave/cable select. Just make sure your new one is set to the same position as your old one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…