Fitting dvd writer

grumpano 11:32 18 Dec 04

I am about to buy a dvd writer and like the look of the Nec 3500, but it is oem only. Will this be easy to fit? I am thinking of removing my cd re writer and using this bay. Will i be able to use the cables and screws from this drive?
Thanks in advance.

spanneress 11:37 18 Dec 04

Yes you can. They are generic in size. OEM in lay mans terms means it comes without all the pretties..you should still have the disc. Take the old one out, check the jumpers are set correctly on the new one and away you go. Depending on your OS your PC shuld see it immediately then all you have to do is install burining software unless you have Nero6 (or the like) which works for both CD and DVD.

Dorsai 11:38 18 Dec 04

it should be as simple as you say. Just remember to get the IDE cable the right way round (red stripe to pin 1), and set the jumper on the new drive to match the setting on the unit you take out.

grumpano 11:40 18 Dec 04

I have Nero 6, so should be ok. Will i be ok with the cable i have got? Oh sorry for this. But what are jumpers ?

spanneress 11:46 18 Dec 04
  Dorsai 11:46 18 Dec 04

click here and scroll down about half way, good blown up pic. It makes no differece the pic is of a HDD, the principle is the same.

rawprawn 11:50 18 Dec 04

I have just fitted one this week and it is not difficult. I f you are not fitting it as an "Extra" drive you can just put it back the same way your old one came out. Jumpers are little plastic connectors on the end of the DVD player. yours should be set to Master, the position is marked so you can see where it should go. I think that they are all set to master to start with by the manufactuer so you probably won't have to change it, but just check.

bonze 12:06 18 Dec 04

I have just fitted a DVD writer it will play a cd in Windows media but not in real player, my other optical disc a CDRW DVD rom playes in both? Any ideas.

grumpano 12:26 18 Dec 04

Thanks guys

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced