Fitting a bigger hard drive

superspark 22:25 08 Jun 05

Can someone please advise me on this problem? I have a pc approx 4 years old which has a Maxtor4D040H2 (40GB) hard drive and I would like to change it to a Maxtor 120GB, either a 6Y120LO or 6Y120PO. Motherboard is a AOpen AK73(A)-V. Can I swap this drive and run my XP disc to install XP with no complications? Your advice would be much appreciated. Thank you..

Zebrapec 22:35 08 Jun 05

I don't know about a bigger hard drive, but my main hard drive is only 6Gig and I added a second 6Gig hard drive and installed WIN XP on the first HD without any problem. I use the second HD for all my other programs.

ventanas 22:40 08 Jun 05

One of my pc's is two months short of four years old. It orginally came, as yours, with a 40gb hard drive and Win ME. It now has two 120gb drives and XP Pro. So I had no problem. A possible difference is my copy of XP is retail. If yours is OEM you should check that there is nothing on the existing drive that is needed for a reinstall - a hidden partiton for instance.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:50 08 Jun 05

HAve a 5 year old PC running two 120G maxtor 6Y120LO

HDD changes are one of the four things that XP sees as different hardware requiring reactivation so if nothing else changed then no problem. If memory adde or MB also change then its a simple phone call to Msoft if reactivation required.

superspark 17:08 09 Jun 05

Thanks very much for your advice. Now I will go ahead!

De Marcus 17:25 09 Jun 05

Why not just install the new one as a slave? no need for a full reinstall then :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…